roadworks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so they decided t start roadworks on a very busy roundabout. make it 3 lanes wide (your ****ed if there is a truck next to you - its only wide enough for a truck and 1 car/truck and truck) and added lights. TBH, the lights would probably help traffic flow at peak times. but what do they do? leave them on 24/7. so your comin along at 6AM BH monday mornin, only u, and the lights are on red. and you get stopped 3 times trying to make your way around.

anyway, comin home, RH lane, doin 70 fair bit of traffic. all of a sudden loads of traffic. guess what? roadworks. 1 mile traffic. and what was happenin? 1 lane closed and what was the lane closed for?

a van parked.

and the 2 blokes were standing talkin on the roundabout. why they didnt use the layby only 5 metres further away, or maybe the slip road to the garage on the other side, i will never know

Sponsored Links
This is one of my pet hates. Roundabout AND traffic lights. Why the f*** can't they make their bl**dy minds up. Some of these systems cause you to go through umpteen sets of lights just to get to your exit.

Roundabouts I can accept, Traffic lights do the job, where space is at a premium or road planners can't be bothered to design the junction properly. But traffic lights on roundabouts are just so bl**dy inefficient. You might just as well do away with the roundabout, save a load of concrete, and just have the lights. It would also be more efficient.

TexMex said:
This is one of my pet hates. Roundabout AND traffic lights. Why the f*** can't they make their bl**dy minds up. Some of these systems cause you to go through umpteen sets of lights just to get to your exit.

Roundabouts I can accept, Traffic lights do the job, where space is at a premium or road planners can't be bothered to design the junction properly. But traffic lights on roundabouts are just so bl**dy inefficient. You might just as well do away with the roundabout, save a load of concrete, and just have the lights. It would also be more efficient.

i have to admit, on some larger roundabouts lights can help things, but not when 2/3 of the traffic turns right, so you get stuck in the first light, then the next light, and then the next light. often, 3/4 cars get thru at a time. and this is susposed to help? be better if they were off

andrew2022 said:
TexMex said:

i have to admit, on some larger roundabouts lights can help things, but not when 2/3 of the traffic turns right, so you get stuck in the first light, then the next light, and then the next light. often, 3/4 cars get thru at a time. and this is susposed to help? be better if they were off

Not many roundabouts / traffic lights here, just bl**dy caravans :D

Sponsored Links
andrew2022 said:
TexMex said:

one of the newest junctions in doncaster, 5 main roads come together into one montrous roundabout. Its taken them about a year of adjusting the traffic light phases to get them just right, and now it works like clockwork most of the time, even during rush hour.

If the traffic lights as roundabouts are adjusted correctly, theoretically when you enter the roundabout, the majority of traffic entering can get off just as quickly.

TexMex said:
This is one of my pet hates. Roundabout AND traffic lights.

My favourite is Junction 1 of the M60. Coming from Cheadle, at most times of the day it is impossible to cross. You have to get across from the approach road to the roundabout itself. Only trouble is, that bit of tarmac has f'in great yellow cross-hatched markings all over it. You have to break the rules and sit in the box, otherwise you'd never move from the lights: the road outside the box ahead of you is always occupied by traffic held up by the lights in front of them. So when you are green, they're on red..... Nightmare!

Get it right, HA or SMBC whoever is responsible..

I suspect that the roundabout where the A1 meets the M25 is timed so if you drive around it at a particular speed you get all green lights... I've not found that speed yet, but I have found that if you go REALLY FAST then you can beat the sequence quite easily. :LOL:

Ever been on a roundabout at the time the traffic lights switch off? No doubt they put the entry roads on red to start, therefore safe. But it happened to me and it was rather disconcerting.

On the subject of Road works. Some years back, I had a job as a milkman. One morning, I found that one of the roads on my round had been closed off by a bunch of workmen. This gave me the inconvenience of having to haul crates and crates of milk, hundreds of yards to serve my customers, followed by a 5 mile detour to continue the round and another 5 mile detour at the end of the round (to get back to the depot). This also had the knockon effect of having to get someone to toe me back to the yard (due to the milk float running out of juice). This went on for several weeks. You can imagine my anger when I found out that these workmen were only laying cables under the pavement. On site they only had one mini digger, and a couple of vans parked at the side of the road. No way did this justify closing the road. Even more ridiculously, they left it closed 24hrs a day EVERY day, even though they were only on site a few hours a day, a few days a week.

One day I finally decided to challenge their authority. On my return back to the yard, instead of making the detour (which I hadn't enough juice to complete anyway), I simply moved their barrier out of the way and proceded to drive through the closed off section. Immediately, they started shouting abuse and rapidly blocked my passage with their vans. I got out of the float and started to plead my case that I couldn't go round the long way, as I would run out of power before reaching the depot (now just a few hundred yards away). As things got more heated I then manouvered the milk float onto the pavement, to obstruct their digger. By this time, quite a few of my customers had come out into the street and were giving me their whole hearted support (they had suffered weeks of having to park their cars miles away).

Police were called and, at first, were insisting that I was totally out of order for dissobeying the road sign (the red "road closed" sign). At this point one of the onlookers had cheekily painted "including 'O Halleran vehicles" on the sign, and turned it to face towards the fracas for all to see. I was bundled into the back of a police van, but just as they were about to cart me away to the station, they decided they wanted me move the milk float first. I refused to move the float until I had seen some documentary evidence that these cowboys had any more authority than me to close the public highway.

From inside the van, I could hear the commotion getting more and more tense as the local residents were starting to get out of hand in protest against the workmen and the police. By this time their numbers had been swollen by other milkmen in the throng, that had walked up from the depot to add their support. Eventually a copper came into the van and told me, "OK You've won, they've agreed to leave the road open, will you move your float now please." "Not until I hear it from one of the workmen." The copper went off and and returned with one of the workmen. Begrudgingly he agreed that from now on the road is going to be left open but if anyone is hurt as a result of an accident blah blah blah..

Unfortunately they completed their work a few days later and left the area. Just as I was begining to enjoy my minor victory.

andrew2022 said:
so they decided t start roadworks on a very busy roundabout. make it 3 lanes wide

Not in noroflk by any chance. Came across said or similar roundabout last week. 1 lane closed for about a mile approaching roundabout, huge tailback, the only thing happening in that lane was one of those lorries with the big arrows, parked up having lunch. :evil:

nstreet said:
andrew2022 said:
so they decided t start roadworks on a very busy roundabout. make it 3 lanes wide

Not in noroflk by any chance. Came across said or similar roundabout last week. 1 lane closed for about a mile approaching roundabout, huge tailback, the only thing happening in that lane was one of those lorries with the big arrows, parked up having lunch. :evil:

no - whitemare pool, end of the A194 motorway coming into gateshead/south tyneside

Sponsored Links
Back