Mould growth behind washing machine!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_9662.JPG
IMG_9663.JPG
Hi, ive got a washing machine and dryer in a small utility room with a counter above the two appliances. We're regularly getting mold growing behind the washing machine. Im guessing its a condensation issue but cant think of a way of getting ventilation behind the machine. When the dryer or washer is running the doors on the front of the utility are left open but this doesn't seem to make any difference.
The washing machine's back and left hand side sit against a solid stone wall so guessing moisture is condensing on the cold wall. Any ideas or help will be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
you could fix insulating slabs of rigid foam to the wall, or drill a hole through it to provide insulation behind the machines. A solid stone wall is likely to be very cold. I suppose it has no dpc.

If there is even a tiny leak from any of that plumbing, the floor will get damp.

There is injected damp course, but sure that'll only cover rising damp. I was thinking of putting a hole through the rear wall to supply ventilation but would this be enough to stop growth on the side wall too?
Definitely no leak there.

damp cold Air trapped behind washing machine, different room temperature washing machine gets warm, result mold, happens with furniture I.E Wardrobes, Cabinets in other rooms. .

you could try the Rigid Foam idea, might work, or pull out the machine after use and wipe down walls. or try a couple of coats of exterior masonry paint on that section of wall, masonry paint contains a Mold inhibitor .

Sponsored Links
Yes, thats black spot condensation - providing trickle heating and ventilation 24/7 is the best way to go. But I dont think you have that possibility?

How is the dryer vented?
If the dryer is condensing then re-jigging to a piped vent would help - the position of the appliances could be swapped and the hard vent could then exit the external wall.

Is there mould behind the dryer?
What is the waste pipe on the right hand spigot connected to?

Breaking plaster contact with the floor - cut back 40mm to 50mm where possible might help a little.
You could install a 9" x 3" vent in the back of the counter or drill some holes - to have some through ventilation.

Dont start pulling the W/M in and out after use or you might end up with a leak on the connections.

Hi thanks for your replies. Some good ideas, exspecially swapping the machines around.
*vinn, its a condenser dryer, the right hand spigot is connected to the dryer.

Might help putting lagging on the water supply pipe, when the washing machine is operating the water temperature of the cold pipe and the warmth of the machine operating in the free space behind the machine would cause condensation and damp.
.Ceramic tiles behind washing machine would help, saves the condensation soaking into the Plaster

If the water supplies are conventionally fitted then the W/M is being supplied by the hot water feed.

I was referring to the supplies in the pic.

Two 15mm copper pipes can be seen dropping down - the one on the left is feeding the W/M.

The "blue plastic fitting" is the connection from the washing machine hose to the washing machine tap on the coppper feed pipe.
W/M hose pipes are often fitted irrespective of their colour code.
Hence, my post above ref left and right supplies.

Sorry about the confusion, the pipe coming down is a cold feed, the copper pipe on the right runs from the boiler to outside, i think its called a pressure relief pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back