Mould growth behind washing machine!

The easiest solution would be get a pack of cheap white ceramic tiles and tile the back of the "slot in" to the floor, and do the same with the drier

Sponsored Links
Hi, what do you mean by the slot in? So would tiling behind the washing machine and dryer stop the mould growth?

Wash off the wall with Bleach solution, let dry and tile they would seal the plaster, and use a decent waterproof grout, seal all sides with silicon plus the floor tiles.

Tiling the back wall is definitely not the way to go:

1. there's excessive condensation, and possible signs of damp at lower left -
2. rising damp coming through the gypsum plaster could blow the tiles.
3. warm air hitting the tiles would cause perhaps even more condensation & mould - as in unventilated tiled bathrooms.
4. Simply fixing the tiles behind all that pipework and fixings, & making good the lower left plaster, would be a job in itself.

Sponsored Links
Tiling the back wall is definitely not the way to go:

1. there's excessive condensation, and possible signs of damp at lower left -
2. rising damp coming through the gypsum plaster could blow the tiles.
3. warm air hitting the tiles would cause perhaps even more condensation & mould - as in unventilated tiled bathrooms.
4. Simply fixing the tiles behind all that pipework and fixings, & making good the lower left plaster, would be a job in itself.

What about the Ceramic Floor tiles then, the condensation dosent appear to have affected them, I would have thought moisture would get in between the bottom of the wall and underneath the floor tiles or the rising damp would have started to lift them

Your questions are moot in terms of what I've written but I'll answer them:

Condensation doesn't release a great amount of moisture in situations like the one above, the lower left patch is probably the coldest spot.
Even in unvented bathrooms I've never known condensation lift floor tiles.

Its possible that the floor has a DPM and insulation, & probable that the tile is glued to a solid backing - plus there's no foot traffic.
Wall tiles are more vulnerable being glued to damp degrading gypsum plaster.

I still dont know how you would deal with the various pipework?

All the pipework looks as it is away from the wall there only two clips holding the waste system,

So the tiles should slide behind the pipe work, the clips refitted, going by the timber board in the left hand corner securing the copper tube I would guess there is at least 15mm/20mm gap behind all of the pipework

Fair enough if you find such an approach and finish acceptable.
But sliding tile behind in place pipework can be tricky, and end up looking very DIY indeed.
Especially where the "board" is left in place, and where the waste is cut into the wall. Forcing tile behind the waste would eventually cause leaks.
Or would you move & re-arrange the waste, & patch the wall?

Remember that this is all being done by a DIY'er?

Its all going to be hidden up by the Washing Machine and Tumble drier.
The piece of 4X2 does not look very aesthetic

"its all going to be hidden" with respect , thats not the point.

It is if it gets rid of the Mould stains. Drilling holes in the wall and letting draughts in is not a solution

You've left the page of your own argument?

We are talking about tiling behind the pipework - we were previously talking about options for dealing with the mould.

If your point is that anything goes then why not superglue a sheet of plastic to the wall & wipe it down from time to time?

And where have I suggested "drilling holes in the wall"?

You havent really put forward a solution to the problem !!!
other than install a vent or drill holes in the wall

You are now ducking and diving - I repeat, please quote me for where I suggested the OP should "drill holes in the wall"?
Above I thought that you had left the page but now it seems you've gone out for lunch.

Where was the vent to be installed?

What does "You haven't really put forward a solution" mean?
"really" either I have put forward a solution or I haven't - perhaps you would explain your curious reasoning?

Yes, thats black spot condensation - providing trickle heating and ventilation 24/7 is the best way to go.

Breaking plaster contact with the floor - cut back 40mm to 50mm where possible might help a little.
You could install a 9" x 3" vent in the back of the counter or drill some holes - to have some through ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back