mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi we have a grey coloured mould on the insides of are bedside draws and on the wooden bed slats under the mattress,it was wash of with soap and water spring this year but is back agian.we do have the window on night vent and open during the day.can anyone tell me is it possible to get rid of the mould alltogether and how.
p.s. we have no mould on the walls

cheers tommythefox. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
do you drape wet washing about the house?

You could try the chemist and ask for-- Milton sterilizing fluid, this is supposed to be very effective.

Wotan

you can use a Kitchen Cleaner with bleach, which will kill it and once dead it will clean off easily, but unless yoiu solve the damp problem it will come back. You can get anti-fungal poisons but I would hesitate to use them in a bedroom.

BTW water vapour rises as it is lighter than air, so the damp may be coming from downstairs; or it may be blowing in from e.g. a bathroom. Sometimes there is a small plumbing leak causing it.

You can guess from my first question what the most common cause of indoor damp mould is.

Sponsored Links
you can use a Kitchen Cleaner with bleach, which will kill it and once dead it will clean off easily, but unless yoiu solve the damp problem it will come back. You can get anti-fungal poisons but I would hesitate to use them in a bedroom.

BTW water vapour rises as it is lighter than air, so the damp may be coming from downstairs; or it may be blowing in from e.g. a bathroom. Sometimes there is a small plumbing leak causing it.

You can guess from my first question what the most common cause of indoor damp mould is.

thanks JohnD we actually live in a bunglow and have concrete floors,and the walls are insulated,we have borrowed a dehumidify and we are collecting about half a pint every two hours or so out of the bedroom,but am i right in thinking that the dehumidify will just keep on collecting water as there is moister in the air anway?? cheers tommythefox.

If you put the dehumidifier in a CLOSED room with no ventilation and the doors and windows tightly closed, it will dry the room and then slow down, but if there is any ventilation, it will try (unsuccessfully) to dehumidify the whole world.

Are you going to tell us about the wet washing? How do you ventilate the bathroom?

p.s. I forgot to say, as you have a bungalow with a concrete floor, depending on age, the may be moisture coming up through the floor. Roll back the carpet and have a look. Tape a piece of clear plastic tightly to the floor. If moisture appears on the floor side, is is coming from the concrete. If on the room side, it is condensation. You can use this method on walls as well.

If you put the dehumidifier in a CLOSED room with no ventilation and the doors and windows tightly closed, it will dry the room and then slow down, but if there is any ventilation, it will try (unsuccessfully) to dehumidify the whole world.

Are you going to tell us about the wet washing? How do you ventilate the bathroom?

John he is in Wales, whole place is damp.

:p :p :p :p

p.s. I forgot to say, as you have a bungalow with a concrete floor, depending on age, the may be moisture coming up through the floor. Roll back the carpet and have a look. Tape a piece of clear plastic tightly to the floor. If moisture appears on the floor side, is is coming from the concrete. If on the room side, it is condensation. You can use this met
hod on walls as well.
hi john thanks for your help,taped plastic to wall floor but no moisture from floor side or wall side of the plastic so its just in the air so we will just keep the room aired and warm as we can.by the way the bathroom is vented by way of extractor. cheers john. :rolleyes:

John he is in Wales, whole place is damp.

:p :p :p :p
foxhole it does not rain all of the time in wales just most of the time. :rolleyes:

From where I live, if you can see the Isle of Wight, that means it's going to rain.

if you can't see the Isle of Wight, that means it is raining.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back