Mould developing on furniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into this bungalow in March, decorated every room and laid carpets.

Bought a new divan bed, pine furniture for the lounge and bedroom.

I used to get condensation on my windows when I first moved here but started to open my windows every morning, never dry my washing indoors, I use the line outside, I open the kitchen window when cooking (which is not often), don't use a kettle at all, open the bathroom window when I shower.

Moved my furniture away from outside walls. My place is uncluttered but I just took the 2 drawers out of the new divan bed and there is mould developing on the inside and underneath it is much worse.
It is also in the bedside cabinet (which I have had empty) and wardrobe which has plenty of space inside.

I have wiped the mould off and applied water and bleach 3:1 to the affected areas and also did the skirting boards.

Even taking these precautions the mould still develops and I expect it will get worse in the autumn and winter.

Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Ventilation needs to be permanent ,opening a window is inadequate, kitchen and bathroom need mechanical ventilation.

Ventilation needs to be permanent ,opening a window is inadequate, kitchen and bathroom need mechanical ventilation.

Thanks for the reply.

Would that stop the mould from developing on the inside of my bed drawers?

The kitchen and bathroom are free from any mould.

The moisture content within the house is much higher than it should be (obviously).....what sort of condition is the building in, regarding windows, gutters and so on?
A bathroom extractor fan is absolutely vital - kitchen too.
I think you'll need a dehumidifier to get the moisture down a bit.
John :)

Sponsored Links
The moisture content within the house is much higher than it should be (obviously).....what sort of condition is the building in, regarding windows, gutters and so on?
John :)

Thank-you for the reply.

It is a 1990 detached bungalow in good condition. It was empty for over a year before I moved in but was by far the best one I viewed.
I have decorated every room and found no evidence of damp or mould in any room.
The loft is double thickness insulated, all UPVC double glazed windows and doors.
I swept the gutters out but there was nothing in them (no trees around) and they work as they should and do not leak. All the downpipes are clear.

My bedroom is at the back of the building which is north facing so gets no sun. I have to use that one as the front bedroom is smaller and cannot fit the bed and wardrobe comfortably.

So moisture is the reason mould develops?

Last edited:
You say the property has been empty for over a year, what sort of heating has the property got, and have you had the heating on constantly since moving in ?

You also state the main bedroom is North Facing which means that , that particular room will be colder than the other rooms.

Get a dehumidifier and run that plus the heating. (A year of having a property empty is a long time.)

You say the property has been empty for over a year, what sort of heating has the property got, and have you had the heating on constantly since moving in ?

You also state the main bedroom is North Facing which means that , that particular room will be colder than the other rooms.

Get a dehumidifier and run that plus the heating. (A year of having a property empty is a long time.)

The property had been empty for over a year, I moved in March 2015.
I have not had the heating on since May as it has been warm. I will need to put the heating on next month I expect.

The property had been empty for over a year, I moved in March 2015.
I have not had the heating on since May as it has been warm. I will need to put the heating on next month I expect.

Sounds like internal damp caused by changes of temperature in the empty property over the year.

Dehumidifier is your answer

Heating has no effect, in fact warm air supports more moisture, dehumidifier is a very expensive way to remove moisture and assumes you don't have problems with a constant damp source, otherwise it's just wasting money , ventilation is free.

Ventilation is free, heating is not.

Short term increase ventilation and heating.

However if you have poorly insulated cold walls, condensation may still occur where furniture is backed up regardless.

consider insulated plasterboard or otherwise upgrading the wall insulation, this will save you money over time and more effectively manage condensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back