Mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new bathroom built end of last year. Around the clear silicone at the bottom of the shower screen there's a small formation of mould. Also, there's some behind the plastic wedges that support triangular glass corner shelves. There's 2 shelves above each other, and each shelf has 3 plastic wedges. Two wedges screw into the fixed glass part of the screen and one wedge screws into the tile. Each tile wedge has got some black mould behind, but the wedges attached to the fixed screen are fine. I was thinking of using domestos to clean it up, apparently it works as well as any mould remover?

I have a low voltage humidistat fan above the shower which comes on automatically each shower I take and stays on for as long as it takes for the humidity to lower. I have the window open 99.9% of the time when I shower. I wipe down the whole bathroom every day after each shower, takes about 15 minutes. Is there something else I should be doing? Or is this to be expected? It's a small bathroom, about 6' x 5' so moisture hits everything easily. The rest of the bathroom is still brand new looking and mould free. I've no idea if the sealant below the shower screen is mould resistant or not, but whether it is or not, what would account for the black colouring behind two of the 6 glass shelf wedges as there's no sealant there? Now that I think of it, I do remember pulling some excess sealant away from around the post a few months ago, to try and push the shower screen seal further up. Maybe it broke the seal of the silicone?

This is my fan btw. Is it good enough or do I need a better one? Extract performance seems on par with others I've seen which are more costly.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Bathr...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
You will need to cut away mouldy silicon and replace.
The humodistat fans are triggered by moisture, you need the fan running before any can build up. A shower is not the only source of moisture so fan should run whenever the room is occupied irrspective of use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2713...f11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=83[/QUOTE]

Thanks foxhole. :) Will it be ok to cut away the mouldy bits only and join new silicone to old? I think the fan usually starts pretty much anytime I go in there. I think the mould around the silicon is due to two things, and do correct me if I'm wrong. One, the builder only siliconed one side at the bottom of the screen, (picture 1) the outside bit from the post to tiles. The inside he didn't do, so there's a narrow gap under the glass (picture 2) opposite the outside silicone he did. Two, I pulled a bit of silicone away from around the post which may have contributed or been the whole reason for the mould. Having said that, when I prod the black bits around the post, it's still silicone there, not bare rusted metal, but I may have weakened the seal and allowed mould in? Does this look like he perhaps didn't use anti mould silicone?

Yeah, good call on the HG spray. I was actually ready to go buy that but apparently bleach and water sprayed on and rubbed with a toothbrush is supposed to work quite well. I've got some Domestos. However, I'm all for the easiest, quickest and most effective option if you think the HG spray would be better? If you do, I'll go buy it now!

The silicon looks fairly roughly applied.
You should remove all silicon and replace, new does not stick well to old.
He may not have applied mould resistant silicon but never come across a silicon that is totally resistant.

Sponsored Links
The silicon looks fairly roughly applied.
You should remove all silicon and replace, new does not stick well to old.
He may not have applied mould resistant silicon but never come across a silicon that is totally resistant.

I want to have a go at doing the silicon sealant myself, but I've never ever done silicone joints before, I know it can be quite tricky and messy in inexperienced hands like mine. I have a stanley knife to cut away the old, a silicone gun, and I have a new unused pot of 'No Nonsense' sealant remover for the smaller bits of residue. Just a bit worried I'll mess up actually putting the silicone in neatly and then it might be a nightmare to remove again. Shall I just go for it anyway and hope for the best? Also, what clear anti-mould silicone would you recommend I buy?

Btw, I'm going to buy the HG mould remover after all.

Merlin5 hi.

apologies about this "attempted" Hi Jack?

Foxhole, nice one, that "product" looks like a "good-un"

I tried [some time ago] to use masking tape to do the same job as the tape you have found, needless to say the masking tape attempt came to a "sticky end" [best way to describe that mess]

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back