Shower screen sealant tips to avoid mould?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a walk-in shower installed just under a year ago and the sealant on the outside of the shower screen has gone mouldy. In fact, it started going mouldy some months ago, which seems a bit quick to spoil. The mould is behind/inside the sealant and is along the whole of the screen.

The tiler who installed it seemed reliable and the sealant was only applied on the exterior of the screen which, I believe, is correct. However, I've noticed there must be a tiny leak somewhere in the middle of the sealant, as there is a small pool of water there each time I shower. But is that enough to cause the sealant to go mouldy along the whole of the screen?

I was planning on removing all the old sealant, demoulding with HG Mould Spray, cleaning with methylated spirits and then maybe sealing with Dow 785.

Is there anything else I should consider to avoid it going mouldy again so quickly?

PXL_20231229_163415071crop.jpg

Sponsored Links
Water doesn’t cause mould it’s a result of poor ventilation .
Doesn't ventilation decrease humidity?

I was wondering if water was somehow seeping under the sealant. Perhaps movement in the shower tray (since this is an ensuite bathroom to a new loft conversion) has created a small gap?

Doesn't ventilation decrease humidity?

I was wondering if water was somehow seeping under the sealant. Perhaps movement in the shower tray (since this is an ensuite bathroom to a new loft conversion) has created a small gap?
Yes ventilation reduces humidity which mound thrives on .
It also keeps the mould spores from settling .

Sponsored Links
So do I just open the windows more often and the mould won't reappear? Don't I need to do anything at the level of the sealant to keep the mould away?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back