Mouldy Shower Cubicle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

For the love of humanity can somebody advise as to how I can shift this mould in the shower.
Cubicle and tiling are only four years old with anti-mould sealant!
Any advise gratefully received.
Cheers.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 767
Sponsored Links
Bleach will do wonders on the grout, rub it well in neat with a kitchen sponge using the scourer side, leave it overnight and wash it off. As for the silicone, replacement is the only solution. As annoying as it might seem, drying after every single shower will reduce the chances of it reoccurring.

Sponsored Links
H&G mould remover with a scrubbing brush (did mine last week).

For the grout, spray bleach and a small scrubbing brush. Do it in sections and rinse down after each section or you will stain the tiles, (even plain white ones!).

For the sealant, as stated, only solution is to cut out and re-seal with a good quality brand. It may also help to rinse the shower down after use to remove any soap/gel residues.

Melamine sponges work really well on grout.

Silicone - replace with a good quality anti mould one (I've tried cheap anti mould ones and they didn't last a year)

Easier to prevent it by keeping the shower well ventilated, good quality extractor fan above is a must.

'Astonish' for mould and mildew- you get it in 'Home Bargains' type shops. Spray it on , leave it for a while and then rinse.
Mightn't get rid of all, but i find it good.

The product you need is called Muffycid. Sounds funny but will bring it up like new within an hour.
Just spray it on and leave it. Scrubbing spreads the spores.

Doesn't matter how expensive the silicone is, mould will eventually take over if the room is not well ventilated.

Get to know your enemy.... I read up on mould to find out what it likes. We've deployed several strategies in our home such as ventilation, bigger gaps behind cupboards and so on.

For the shower, we have one of these squeegees to remove all the surface water from the shower wall into the tray... Takes 30 seconds...https://goo.gl/images/Y8cexg

Get to know your enemy.... I read up on mould to find out what it likes. We've deployed several strategies in our home such as ventilation, bigger gaps behind cupboards and so on.

For the shower, we have one of these squeegees to remove all the surface water from the shower wall into the tray... Takes 30 seconds...https://goo.gl/images/Y8cexg
and follow it up with a microfibre cloth to dry off the remnants

One of the simplest solutions to help stop the mould is to rinse the shower area with cold water thoroughly after each use, and clean it regularly!, Once a week with a sponge and soapy water will suffice, doesn't have to be with harsh chemicals, you can do it while you're in the shower too so saving time on another chore. And as previously advised correct ventilation is a must, try fitting a humidistat fan to help with the problem

if you do cut out the old and replace the sealant, make sure when applying the new stuff, that you spit on the tip of your finger to smooth it into place, then you can repeat the experience in six months.

none of those namby pamby 'fugi' sealant application tools or white-spirit for me, oh no. Got to create some work for the future.:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back