mouldy walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help i have a downstairs toilet with very bad mould in the corner. What can i do to help it. I have no heating in there and it has 2 external walls to it. I am getting cavity wall insulation will this help?

Sponsored Links
Toilets are very susceptible to mould, even if heated and ventilated, and walls insulated - its due to the condensation from the cold cisturn and supply pipes.

You should thoroughly clean the area with a biocidal wash and either redecorate with a vinyl washable paper, or tile the area.

Then always wipe condensation off the walls every day if necessary

If you have no constant ventilation, install a small airbrick to a wall or trickle vent to the window

fit a fan and ventilate it. If you get the fan to come on every time the light is switched on that will be much better than expecting people to bother turning it on. you could also fit a fan with a humidistat to turn it on automatically when damp but this is more expensive.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

Also identify if it has a damp floor, e.g. if it has no damp proof membrane, or if you have any plumbing or roof leaks.

I see from your previous post that you are in the habit of drying washing inside the house, so it will always be damp until you give up this habit. There is nothing anyone can do to help you prevent damp if you continue to drape wet washing about the house.

A small heater will make it more comfortable but will not remove moisture.
p2516845_l.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back