Mount Bathroom Shaver Socket in Patress?

FLM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am installing an isolated shaver socket in the bathroom (have already notified) and am taking power from the lighting circuit.

I don't have enough space to sink the socket into a metal box in the wall (plasterboard wall with noggins in the way). Is it acceptable to use a plastic patress fixed on to the wall with the live cable feeding it from behind and put the socket into that?

Sorry if this is a lame question - better to be safe than sorry :LOL:

Sponsored Links
provided your pattress is securely fixed, It's not making the situation any worse. More important is zone location

BS7671 OSG p59
zone 2 saver supply sockets to BS EN 60742 IPX4(ONLY IF NO DIRECT SHOWER SPRAY)

zone 3 and outside no ip requirement

and I'd like to see it on an rcd protected side of board or rcbo fitted. ;)

purely looking towards 17 edition regs draft and secondly because the phillips shavers and some cheap ones the cords are not double insulated. Also like" is not "must"
lets not bother looking for an argument :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Aardvark Avo said:
purely looking towards 17 edition regs draft

Why are you installing equipment to a set of regulations which for all we know might not even inclue RCD protection to bathroom circuits when the final document is published? Does this mean that you are not installing supplementary bonding in bathrooms as this might not be required by the 17th edition of BS7671?

because the phillips shavers and some cheap ones the cords are not double insulated.

An RCD would not make a blind bit of difference. It's an isolating transformer FFS :rolleyes:

Aardvark Avo said:
provided your pattress is securely fixed, It's not making the situation any worse. More important is zone location

BS7671 OSG p59
zone 2 saver supply sockets to BS EN 60742 IPX4(ONLY IF NO DIRECT SHOWER SPRAY)

zone 3 and outside no ip requirement

and I'd like to see it on an rcd protected side of board or rcbo fitted. ;)
Why?
Isn't the point of shaver sockets that they have an isolating tranny and so don't need any additional (RCD) protection?

Sort of, an isolating transormer will provide protection against indirect contact by electrical separation whereas RCDs are generally used in an eebads system.

I was thinking of the chrome or satin shaver sockets with the earth bonding tag, point taken yes double insulated and isolating transformer

Aardvark Avo said:
I was thinking of the chrome or satin shaver sockets with the earth bonding tag, point taken yes double insulated and isolating transformer

Chrome or satin shaver point on a surface patress - nice :LOL:

RCD would make no odds to an isolating tranny - it simply wouldn't trip! It would if the live fell out of the terminal and made the chrome or satin front live though.......

Taylortwocities said:
Care to explain why you think an RCD is needed? Its double insulated SLV transformer...........
My experiance is that plastic surface boxes are prone to damage, such damage could easilly expose live conductors.

and with the 17th requiring everything in the bathroom RCD protected planning for that now seems like a very good idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back