Mountfield Sp536 valve clearances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does anyone know what the valve clearances should be for a Mountfield SP536 lawnmower fitted with a RM55ES engine? Mine is having problems starting up again after it gets hot, and everything else has been looked at.

Thanks All.

Sponsored Links
Go for 0.10mm hot and you'll not be far off!
OHV engines have a screw and locknut, side valves require the end of the valve stem grinding down.
John :)

Actually, I rang up servicelink today and they gave me the following information

Inlet valve 0.10-0.15
Exhaust valve 0.15-0.20

I don’t know how true they were as my mower was well out. I’ll try it when it’s hot next time as that’s when it seems to be having problems.

Cheers Rik

With the engine steaming hot, whipping off the rocker cover and checking that you can still rotate the pushrods will give you a pretty good idea of how things are.
These engines are prone to running hot, and fuel evaporation isn't unknown.....a tip is to give it just a shot of choke whilst pulling the cord-without over doing it, of course!

Sponsored Links
[QUOTE="Burnerman, , side valves require the end of the valve stem grinding down.
John :)[/QUOTE]
Have you ever done that to a SV mower engine - I can't imagine them lasting long enough to need that;)

Aye, they are getting less common due to their inefficiency so the OHV / OHC engines take over.
Some of the large iron cylinder Briggs motors are SV though - and they have 'proper' ball bearings supporting the crank......a different machine indeed to the basic bushed engines of yore.

Just to get this thread back on track, servicelink did send me a workshop manual for this mower and it’s titled wbe-701, wbe-702 and wbe-704. I’ve attached it to this reply, so hopefully it will show up below.

Cheers All.

Rik

Attachments

• WSM-WBE 0701 - 0702 - 0704 08-14-En[1].pdf
    6.8 MB · Views: 938
do you have the number for the service link people as im after the valve clearence on a rm65 engine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back