Mounting a fairly heavy whiteboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

A bit of advice needed before I make a mistake.

I've 'acquired' a white board from work that I want to put up in my office. Its somewhat heavy and has four screw holes.

I have dot and dab walls so I've learnt courtesy of this board that I need to use longer screws and a plug for block.

Now, the problem I've got is that all the longer screws I own dont go in the white board holes as they're too big. I mentioned it to my (somewhat unhelpful and not very forthcoming) joiner friend who informed me that they dont do thinner longer screws...

So how do I mount it, he mentioned in passing to use the screws I have but just force them through the white board making the holes wider, just a bit apprehensive that it will make it look silly as the way its designed for these smaller screws is each corner has a covering so you wouldnt know its screwed in.

Thoughts and guidance appreciated. Confidence in

Attachments

• 20200201_110920.jpg
    20200201_110920.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 245
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Depends how thick the dabs are, really. Something like a 4.0 X 70mm screw will generally go through a corner hole on a whiteboard (and fit beneath the slide on corner covers) but if that isn't long enough you could always fix a couple of planed softwood 2 x 1 battens on the wall with nice long screws and plugs (carefully drilled and counter sunk so that the battening screws don't conflict with the fixing holes in the whiteboard) and then fix the whiteboard to the battens. Done that sort of thing more than a few times over the years, and surprised your mate didn't think to recommend it

The board will take any size screw, its just plastic in corner which can be drilled slightly larger to accept any screw.

The board will take any size screw, its just plastic in corner which can be drilled slightly larger to accept any screw.
yeah thats what I though -even the csk can be made bigger if nec

It is just plastic but it has covers so it fits nicely. Will it not ruin that if I make the hole bigger. Gonna have a go today.

Attachments

• 20200216_145152.jpg
    20200216_145152.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 225

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back