Mounting box

j03

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mounting box like this one:

AP615.JPG

along with a dimmer switch, the dimmer sitch has a bit on the back that the wires go into that is almost the length of the mounting box. My problem is the four bits that stick out into the middle of the box on each side. They get in the way of this bit on the back of the switch! Has anyone else come across something like this and figured out a way of fixing? Can the bits just be forced back, or off?

Any help greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
If the spare ones are adjustable remove them or if they are fixed flatten them back.

How can all 4 be in the way?

Two will be needed for the screws that hold the switch in...

yeah you know what I mean, two are in the way!

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys, mainly crafty :) I got them off with pliers last night and all works fine now ....

Adding to this, on the other side of the dimmer I fitted is another switch that I want to replace, the switches I want to use, as mentioned above have quite larger bits on the back so they need a 35mm mounting box. The one that I want to replace now has a wall mounted box and behind that a quite ancient looking wooden one that is attached to the wall in some way....no idea how! Is cold chisel and hammering it to bits the best thing to do or are they normally trivially attached and I'm totally missing it? Cant see any screws anywhere but plasterwork been patched up all around it so could be something in there!

Also, sorry, I will stop in a min... Does having two deepish (35mm) mount boxes back to back pretty much on a wall cause any probs...its a supporting wall between living and dining rooms if you can imagine and both light switches are back to back currently. Phew!

j03 said:
Cheers guys, mainly crafty :) I got them off with pliers last night and all works fine now ....

Adding to this, on the other side of the dimmer I fitted is another switch that I want to replace, the switches I want to use, as mentioned above have quite larger bits on the back so they need a 35mm mounting box. The one that I want to replace now has a wall mounted box and behind that a quite ancient looking wooden one that is attached to the wall in some way....no idea how! Is cold chisel and hammering it to bits the best thing to do or are they normally trivially attached and I'm totally missing it? Cant see any screws anywhere but plasterwork been patched up all around it so could be something in there!

Also, sorry, I will stop in a min... Does having two deepish (35mm) mount boxes back to back pretty much on a wall cause any probs...its a supporting wall between living and dining rooms if you can imagine and both light switches are back to back currently. Phew!
Haven't heard about the wooden back you describe - but go at it with a drill with an all purpose bit to deepen the hole. But make sure there aren't any hidden wires there - turn the electric off at the mains before you start if you can, run an extension from your kind neighbours or use a cordless drill.

And for a supporting wall, you need load bearing backboxes - usually cast iron . . .

ONLY JOKING!!! It will be fine. the effect of the holes you are making are practically zero - think about your boiler / tumble dryer vents and the toilet pipe.

Oh yeah....duh! :LOL:

[Edit:]

Saying that, if there's a hole in the wall from one end to the other, with the mounting boxes back to back then there won't be anything for them to attach to meaning when the switches are screwed onto the mounts then they could just move in and out of the wall like a ... hmmm, can't think of an example! Like this I guess:

[code:1] | | |
--- --- ---
| | | [/code:1]

ohhh!!!! the wood is seperating 2 switches mounted on opposite sides of the same wall??

i understand now . . . . I think the only way around it is to use a builders adhesive or epoxy resin of some sort on the edges of the boxes and bolt the 2 boxes back to back.

Great....thanks, I'll have a go at hacking the wooden one out tomorrow :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back