1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Mounting combi boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by electronicsuk, 29 Apr 2008.

1. electronicsuk

electronicsuk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I posted here a couple of months ago in an attempt to find an installer to fit a Greenstar 42 combi boiler for me. I never had any real interest, although the heating loop is still not complete and the is, as yet, still no gas supply to the property.

I have purchased the boiler and would very much like to be able to mount it to the wall, as this will allow me to pipe in the CH loop and the cold and hot water connections and start to box in some of the pipework. If I were to go ahead and do this, is it likely that a CORGI registered gas fitter would be interested in completing the gas pipework and commissioning the boiler? Is there any regulatory reason that I shouldn't do this?

Oh, and if you might be interested in the work (I'm in Lincoln, Lincs) then please do get in touch.

Awaiting your replies.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. seco services

seco services

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i wouldn't touch or sign my name against a boiler you fixed to the wall and installed the pipework. you need a polish plumber.

4. electronicsuk

electronicsuk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So effectively you're saying that I shouldn't even be doing water pipework myself? I thought that it would only be the gas pipework that would have to be done by a gas fitter?

5. seco services

seco services

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    nothing worse than finishing something someone else has started.
    as for the boiler its he's job to check its secured properly so just as easy to let him secure the boiler and line up the flue etc.

6. fazedup71

fazedup71

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    just re read your post so edited mine, if you dont fit the boiler and leave it alone i might be able to help as i am in lincs

7. Sponsored Links
  8. Corgigrouch

Corgigrouch

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I once made the mistake of fitting a boiler to a heating and water system that had been fitted by the customer.... Almost every joint leaked.. Never again

9. fazedup71

fazedup71

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    yeah am thinking i might know this guy tho, i turned down a job in lincoln to because it was a 60 mile round trip every day and I have plenty of work in my own area. If it is him his pretty good and think his more than capable of doing the heating circuit, need hi to post a reply to find out tho!

10. namsag

namsag

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Corgigrouch has hit the nail on head , there would be nothing wrong with a customer screwing a jig to the wall (as fixings could be checked) and doing all connectiuons to it except gas . But when it goes t#ts up and leaks everywhere customers then expect these fixed at no extra cost and look at you as if you caused them. That is main reason people don`t get involved

11. Agile

Agile

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you go signing off boilers where you did not fit the mounting bracket to the wall yourself then CORGI will be after you!

I have no objections to doing everything that I have to as a CORGI but I make sure that the owner connects and fills the water circuits to the boiler before I arrive to connect the flue, gas and commission.

Tony

12. electronicsuk

electronicsuk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's fair enough. I have the kit to pressure test and will be doing so before having the boiler fitted, so this isn't really an issue.

Fazedup71, drop me a PM or E-mail if you might be interested in the job, and I will get back to you as soon as the gas is in.

13. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local