Mounting of CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Old style Fuseboards always seem to be mounted on Wood. Is this a prefered method or just old way of doing it? Is new CU installed directly onto plastered wall ok?

Sponsored Links
I hope so, because that's what most people do. Can be mounted onto any non combustable surface.

There is no need to use a wooden back board these days.

Back in the day the old wylex fuseboxes didnt have backs on them so a board was required.

The only time I fit them is in damp cellars etc with spacers to keep the CU dry, or if the wall is stuplidly wonky.

One advantage in using a plywood board on spacers, is that you can drill holes in the ply, and run the cables really neatly into the back of the consumers unit enclosures, as modern ones tend to have open slots at the back to do this with.

Sponsored Links
XT600 said:
I hope so, because that's what most people do. Can be mounted onto any non combustable surface.
Or even a combustible one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back