Mounting power sockets and switches to studs in walls?

Personal opinion here so don't bother chastising me

I've come across lots of plasterboard mounted boxes where the "electrician" has made a mess of cutting the plasterboard holes which results in the boxes being very insecure. This then results in the sockets of switches being unable to pull up tight to the wall surface. Plus, because the box flange sits on the face of the plasterboard, the socket or switch cannot sit tight to the wall. The flange design (sharp corners or round corners) determines the final shape of the socket or switch - otherwise it looks a right mess.

If you have access to the studs before the plasterboard is fitted then it makes sense to fit metal boxes to the studs. Either fit a backing plate of wood between studs at the desired location and mount the box to this, or fit the box into a "corner" between a vertical member and a cross batten. allow the box to project beyond the studding by the plasterboard thickness and it will end up flush with the board outer skin.

Nothing could be simpler or neater and the final device can then mount flush to the plasterboard with total security and no unsightly box flange showing. After all, first fix has to happen before the boarding goes up so why not fit metal boxes to the studding. Unless of course the "leccy" has no pride in doing a proper job.

Sponsored Links

I've come across lots of plasterboard mounted boxes where the "electrician" has made a mess of cutting the plasterboard holes which results in the boxes being very insecure. This then results in the sockets of switches being unable to pull up tight to the wall surface. Plus, because the box flange sits on the face of the plasterboard, the socket or switch cannot sit tight to the wall. The flange design (sharp corners or round corners) determines the final shape of the socket or switch - otherwise it looks a right mess.

If you have access to the studs before the plasterboard is fitted then it makes sense to fit metal boxes to the studs. Either fit a backing plate of wood between studs at the desired location and mount the box to this, or fit the box into a "corner" between a vertical member and a cross batten. allow the box to project beyond the studding by the plasterboard thickness and it will end up flush with the board outer skin.

Nothing could be simpler or neater and the final device can then mount flush to the plasterboard with total security and no unsightly box flange showing. After all, first fix has to happen before the boarding goes up so why not fit metal boxes to the studding. Unless of course the "leccy" has no pride in doing a proper job.

Thank you.

That's exactly the kind of answer for which I was hoping. A thoughtful, educated opinion.

Thank you. That's exactly the kind of answer for which I was hoping. A thoughtful, educated opinion.
I can believe that it's exactly the answer you wanted/hoped to get, and agree that it actually makes sense if one is making provision for electrical accessories before studding is boarded. However, as you presumably must realise from other answers you've received, the method you do not like is the 'standard' method utilised in the UK for existing plasterboard walls and, indeed, usually really the only practical method available with an existing wall unless one is prepared to do quite a lot of destroying and repairing of the wall.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

Thank you.

That's exactly the kind of answer for which I was hoping. A thoughtful, educated opinion.
Why?

Could you not have worked that out yourself?

An argument against something is not that the "electrician" has cut the hole too big.

I am not stating that plasterboard boxes are wonderful but if you don't like them do something else.

""I am not stating that plasterboard boxes are wonderful but if you don't like them do something else.""

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I suppose the OP really wanted to know why one style was used in favour of another. As usual it comes down to personal preference. If he's getting a sparky to do the job then all he needs to do is advise him what he wants.

He who pays the piper, calls the tune.

[/i]

Quite frankly, because I just had to rip out every internal wall in the house because of damp, wet and mould.
Good practice - the damp, wet and mould will reappear - that's what happens when you line the walls like that.

I found it a bit scary to be ripping down walls where the electrical wiring and components were free to move about as I was wielding a crowbar/prybar at them.
So on that basis no walls could ever be knocked down if they had cables and accessories in them. How do you think people manage when there are cables embedded in brick and plaster walls?

Maybe you should have been taking more care.

If anyone has to or wants to rip out these walls in the future (to change the floor plan, for example), I feel it would be comforting to know that the electrical components are fixed in place.
Fixed to the timber frames that they are ripping out :confused:

I can believe that it's exactly the answer you wanted/hoped to get, and agree that it actually makes sense if one is making provision for electrical accessories before studding is boarded. However, as you presumably must realise from other answers you've received, the method you do not like is the 'standard' method utilised in the UK for existing plasterboard walls and, indeed, usually really the only practical method available with an existing wall unless one is prepared to do quite a lot of destroying and repairing of the wall.

Kind Regards, John

Basically, I wanted to know if there was a reason that the UK *doesn't* use boxes as a standard thing.

If there's a valid, logical reason *not* to, then I would happily take that into consideration when choosing how to make my walls. Since there doesn't seem to be a reason not to, I now feel more confident in my preference of having boxes fixed to the stud work.

Why?

Could you not have worked that out yourself?

An argument against something is not that the "electrician" has cut the hole too big.

I am not stating that plasterboard boxes are wonderful but if you don't like them do something else.

(As mentioned above in another reply:)

Basically, I wanted to know if there was a reason that the UK *doesn't* use boxes as a standard thing.

If there's a valid, logical reason *not* to, then I would happily take that into consideration when choosing how to make my walls. Since there doesn't seem to be a reason not to, I now feel more confident in my preference of having boxes fixed to the stud work.

Basically, I wanted to know if there was a reason that the UK *doesn't* use boxes as a standard thing. If there's a valid, logical reason *not* to, then I would happily take that into consideration when choosing how to make my walls. Since there doesn't seem to be a reason not to, I now feel more confident in my preference of having boxes fixed to the stud work.
As I implied, I suppose it has evolved largely as a matter of convenience. The great majority of electrical work is undertaken on existing, occupied, properties, rather than new builds, and in that situation, it is far simpler, quicker and less disruptive (hence also cheaper)to use the 'plasterboard boxes' - so that has become 'standard practice' even for new builds.

Although, as has been said, these boxes are not perfect, they have proved to be generally satisfactory in service over a number of decades. In the case of new builds or in situations (like yours) in which the boarding has removed, I agree that there is a good case for fixing back boxes to the studwork, or to things attached to the studwork - but, in terms of the big picture, those are fairly uncommon situations.

Kind Regards, John

Although, as has been said, these boxes are not perfect, they have proved to be generally satisfactory in service. In the case of new builds or in situations (like yours) in which the boarding has removed, I agree that there is a good case for fixing back boxes to the studwork, or to things attached to the studwork - but, in terms of the big picture, those are fairly uncommon situations.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed.

Thanks!

But they/we do.

Precisely.

With regard to my comment of mountains and mole-hills -

I thought/think you were making an issue out of nothing by attempting to debate why we don't do what we do do.

With regard to my comment of mountains and mole-hills -

I thought/think you were making an issue out of nothing by attempting to debate why we don't do what we do do.

Oh, no! I'm sorry if that's the impression I made. I legitimately wanted to know *why* it wasn't common practice so I could, with an informed opinion, decide what to do with my walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back