Mounting socket on 20mm conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone have any ideas for the best way to mount a socket on the end of a length of 20mm conduit? I'm thinking SMA or N type.

Sponsored Links
Don't know what them two things you mentioned are, but normally you thread the end of the conduit and use a bush and coupling.

Only quessing but i think there some type of socket
If so fit a patress and a drillable blankplate that you can mount them in
Or a conduit box and besa lid

SMA and N are types of coaxial connectors. Afaict SMA connectors are always 50 ohm charactistic impedance. N connectors exist in both 50 ohm and 75 ohm chracterstic impedance though the former are far more common (also note that 50 and 75 ohm N connectors have different pin sizes and connecting them is likely to cause bad connections and/or damage).

You get "bulkhead" connectors which can be crimed onto cables and have mounts for screwing to panels. You also get bulkhead couplers which can screw into a panel and then have female connectors on both sides.

If you don't want to crimp your own cables then there are companies (for example i've used gigatronix in the past) who will supply them pre-crimped though be aware that a SMA connector is likely to be tricky to thread though a conduit and a N connector impractical to thread unless the conduit is huge.

The problem I see with mounting a connector in a conduit box lid or a blanking plate is bend radius. Unless the coax is a very thin and flexible (and hence high loss) type there is unlikely to be enough space in a conduit box or a typical electrical box for the cable to first leave the back of the bulkhead connector and then turn a right angle while remaining within a reasonable bend radius..

drilling a hole in some sort of end cap may work. unfortunately i'm drawing a blank on finding end caps intended for conduit in the UK and i'm not sure if end caps intended for other types of pipe would work well with electrical conduit.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back