Mounting Surface Magnetic Contact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit surface magnetic contact onto an aluminium window in our rented property.

The aluminium frame is about 2mm thick at the point where one of the components need to be fitted.

Screwing it with other than 2mm long screw will mean the sliding pane will not open.

I have considered numerous options, inc silicone, hot melt glue, but these wont stick. I want to eliminate false alarms due to the contacts falling off.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Drill the frame and then tap the hole with a thread to suit a screw that fits the sensor mounting holes.

Then cut the screws so they protrude 1.5 mm beyond the sensor. The spare 0.5 mm will allow for the sensor hole deforming slightly as the screw is tightened.

There will only be one or two threads holding screw in the hole so use Loctite or similar to lock the screw.

OR Fit the sensor to the architrave ( assumed to be wood ) and mount the magnet on a bracket srewed to the sliding door ( assuming longer screws can go into the door unit ).

The landlord ( if not you ) should be asked for permission for this work on his door.

Thanks both for your prompt responses.

I have amended the picture to show the architrave as aluminium.

Fitting on the top edge: the horizontal edge and vertical are both 2mm aluminium.

Fitting on the architrave could be an option, would it be acceptable to do this with a magnetic surface mount which allows a larger gap? Would this cause problems?

Sponsored Links
Fix the contact to thin piece of plastic and then use a car interior mirror fixing pad to fix this to window frame as adhesive on these is is extra strong.

Put a PIR in the hallway. No need to mess with the door.

Wouldn't mounting it on the top avoid the sliding area?

You can use a "heavy duty" door contact (like the CQR SC550) which will allow a gap of over an inch. Don't go for a graded contact - the range is shorter. Alternatively, the aluminium-clad ones have a tab on one side (but they're really ugly and cost more).

I'd go with the one you've got and cut the screws down... (like bernardgreen suggested).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back