Wide gap magnetic contact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know of a supplier for magnetic contact which will operate with a wide gap (ideally >30mm)?

To be mounted on a upvc door, must be white, probably using adhesive or tape (no screws, risk of falling off accepted!)

I've spotted the Honeywell Ademco 7940WH which looks ideal - but no UK supplier ?

http://www.security.honeywell.com/h...stems/sensor/contact/surface-mount/21754.html

Any assistance gratefully recieved.

Sponsored Links
Why sticking them on? It's a new door (at a friends house, not mine) and so no screws allowed at this time. Perhaps a few months down the line when the 'newness' has worn off but not for now...

Why the gap? I know a photo would help here, perhaps next time I'm at their house - but basically the edge of the frame has a half-round trim, no flat surface close enough for a 'normal' magnet but think one with a bigger operating distance may work.

A stronger magnet would work I guess but it's all about the aesthetics!!!!

Sponsored Links
Is it wood or plastic? You might be able to fit a concealed contact (but you would need to drill...).

Big gaps usually mean big contacts.

You can fit surface contacts on the curved edges (if you use screws).

I regularly fit contacts onto brand new doors. It's best to do it before the trim pieces go on as you can then hide the cable in the gap around the frame. I'll take the contacts off the old door in the morning and refit (or replace) them at the end of the day. I would never, ever use glue or tape.

It's all plastic, but no chance of drilling for either concealed or surface contacts at the present time.

I agree screwing them on would offer more options but that would involves holes....!

The only thing I can think of trying are the 'wide gap' contacts. That one I linked to above doesn't even seem much larger than normal (stronger magnet I presume?) but it's tracking down a source of suitable products to have a look at.

I'm surprised that they appear to be so difficult to find, wouldn't have thought it was a highly unusual request?

I have a similar problem, I can mount my door contacts on door fine, but there is at least a 10mm gap between the edge of the door trim and the frame. The other contact that sits on the frame is exactly flush with the top of the door so the door contact on the door itself is a long way off.

Gonna have to look at mounting them a different way perhaps. Maybe use a small chock of wood on the frame to bring the contact out.

Magnetic switches are not the only option.

Optical sensors can be far more discrete but do require a source of power so not an option if wireless sensors are the only option. They are also more expensive

Ive figured mine out, ive mounted a door contact onto PVC above door, then mounted contact on the top of the door PVC itself with door contact facing upwards of door contact. Works fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back