Mounting to mortar rather than brick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to mount an EV charger holder near my front door. As I may get a proper charger in the future I don't want to leave a mess behind if I remove it.

Is it ok to mount the the mortar between bricks rather than damaging the bricks? I am thinking this will be better than damaging a brick. If I do this I was planning to just use 3 screw holes. would this be ok?

Also are the supplied fixings suitable? I'm worried they may start to rust? Do screws that can be directly screwed in to mortar without the need for a plug exist?

Can the mortar be repaired easily and if so what would I need to do this?

At some point I may add a hook to the area pictured, to tidy the cable, but will see how it goes with just the holder first.

20211105_093923.jpg

20211105_093029.jpg

20211105_093719.jpg

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry about holes in bricks.
You're likely to have a bigger hole to worry about with the hole for the cable.
I don't know what force is needed to unplug a car charge lead, but it will probably be stiff when new.

A Ceeform plug can need a strong yank to disconnect, so beware that using only mortar for the fixings may result in it coming off the wall?

You can get stainless/brass screws or just apply a blob of black paint /tape.
Looks like a sheltered area.

Thanks for the reply. The cable is already there. ATM I just stash the connector near the door when not in use. I want to tidy it up and keep it off the ground, hence installing the holder, but as mentioned may get a proper charger eventually, so will remove the holder if I do. There isn't much force required to insert or remove the connector, the button on the top of the holder releases it.

20211105_193520.jpg

This may seem a silly suggestion but it does work. When you drill into the brick Sellotape, (or get someone to hold), an open envelope below the hole you are drilling to catch as much brick dust as possible. Do this with all the holes. After you have collected the dust tip it into a small airtight container and label the container 'Brick dust from xxx position' and store it somewhere safe. If you remove the fixing squirt/press some two part glue such as Araldite into the hole and before it dries press/smear some of the dust into it. It will blend in with the brickwork when set and be far less noticeable than any other filler.

Sponsored Links
The traditional method for fixing to masonry was to chisel out the mortar between bricks with a plugging chisel, cut and hammer in softwood wedges (or plugs), trim back the plugs almost flush to the brickwork with a hand saw and then nail or screw the item into the timber plugs. We still do this for certain tasks on on listed buildings, etc where it may not be possible/permitted to drill into stone or brickwork. Modern plastic plugs are designed to go into the brick or stone and don't work to well in most mortars. The modern way is faster, but is designed for use with modern tools such as masonry drills and bits

In this instance you'd probably need to plugs about 4in long with a softwood or plywood pattress attached to them and the charger screwed to to pattress

Turn off the hammer action and drill carefully into the mortar, and you should be fine. I use the Fisher nylon plugs for better grip on the fixing.

Blup

Finally got round to installing it. I just need to decide what do with the cable?

20211109_155407.jpg

20211109_155422.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back