Mounting TV on dot and dab insulated plasterboard wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I've read similar threads but nothing quite matches my situation - so has anyone got any advice on this please?
I want to fit a TV to a new wall - it's insulated plasterboard dot and dabbed onto a stone wall. I believe the insulation is 40mm but can't be 100% sure... either way the distance from the finished plaster front to the stone wall behind is approximately 60mm.
The TV I want to mount is on a fixed bracket, no tilt or swivel or anything and the TV weights 18kg, so not massively heavy. However, I have 2 young children and don't want to take any risks of it falling, not to mention the TV wasn't cheap!
I realy don't want to have to cut away the plasterboard and install battens unless there's no other option.
The options I've looked at are M6 Rigifix - but I believe the fittings are only 100mm long. This would mean only about 40mm of the fitting fixed into the stone wall. Do you think that is enough? I can't work it out for sure but it looks like the Rigifix is only recommended for a cavity of up to 20mm, which doesn't seem right but might be?
The other option is 120mm frame fixings - I'm sure 60mm fixing into the stone is enough... but then the screw is unsupported through the insulation and plasterboard, and I believe there's a risk the plaster will be pulled in and crack.
I could always stick an extra couple of fixings in either option and use 6 or 8 fixings, or if using frame fixings I could fire some expanding foam behind the insulation to brace it and prevent the plaster flexing.
Any thoughts on if either/both of these would be safe?
Thanks!
Matt

Sponsored Links
Fischer S10 or SX10 plugs and 110mm M8 coach screws.
there's a risk the plaster will be pulled in and crack.
Tighten with a socket set, not an impact driver. DON'T over tighten, just nip it up and it will hold fine.

Sponsored Links
as we dont know what bracket you have/want bear in mind some have the ability to "lock" the tv mounted bit to the wall mounted bit such that it cant be seperated accidentally. handy if you have kids

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back