Mouting TV bracket to plasterboard wall

This is my checklist atm

Timber 95mm by 47mm - 4 @14 inches for the horizontal sections.

6 @ 220 minus the top and bottom (47*2) 126mm vertical studs between the top and bottom horizontal sections

8 @ 10 inches vertical to go either side of the top and bottom sections for extra weight distribution

100mm wood screws -

M8 lag bolts 90mm x10 for the bracket

12mm plywood @ 18 inches x 10 inches

And maybe smaller 6mm lag bolts to attach the plywood to the 3 studs.

For reference

Sponsored Links
We've already told you how we would tackle it professionally. I'm not going to spend any more time on this. Do what you feel works.

The solution I am going for is more structurally solid, that is what you suggested. Its not your solution of just plywood across 3 studs. Mine includes that and a wooden frame for additional support. Not sure your problem. Also I appreciate the help you've already provided but you may not know, this is the internet and we're part of a forum where people expel advice for "free" its the whole point. Yet its seems you'd like money for your "consultancy". Again, I've taken on your advice about the bracket and changed that and taken on your advice about the structural load, and I've taken that on board!

Now if any of the 205,368 other registered users could help me with some assistance on the material, that would be highly appreciated :)

You're going way overboard, honestly.

The advice given of just screwing a sheet of ply to all 3 studs is quite sufficient. If you want to hide the ply, then chisel out the studs and set it flush (they will be stronger than before once the ply is in, if you do a neat job, especially if you glue it as well. If you are not practiced with a chisel, do not do this.).

Sponsored Links
You're going way overboard, honestly.

The advice given of just screwing a sheet of ply to all 3 studs is quite sufficient. If you want to hide the ply, then chisel out the studs and set it flush (they will be stronger than before once the ply is in, if you do a neat job, especially if you glue it as well).

I'll be replacing the the plasterboard thats on the wall currently with the ply and so it will be flush with the wall. The idea here is to make the bracket unmovable since its only a single stud that will contain 2 lag bolts, top and bottom, and the suggestion is to use other fittings like intersects in ply (ply attached to 3 studs).

However I want 5 or 6 lag bolts into plywood (across 3 studs) and timber frame and middle stud holding the cantilever full motion bracket, which itself is 10kg and 27kg tv.

Belt and braces, belt and braces! Never heard it before this thread, now its my mantra.

You've been given some good advice from people who do this for a living, masscrazy. Not sure why you're choosing to ignore it, but as said, it's your project.

You've been given some good advice from people who do this for a living, masscrazy. Not sure why you're choosing to ignore it, but as said, it's your project.

I've not ignored it, I've added to the brilliant advice from Lucid and Sam! I will be doing exactly as they suggested! But with the addition of a timber frame for the additional lag bolts I want to hold the 10kg full motion bracket and 27kg tv!

The solution I am going for is more structurally solid, that is what you suggested. Its not your solution of just plywood across 3 studs. Mine includes that and a wooden frame for additional support.
I've said this now a couple of times before: We've told you how to do this professionally. If you want to do as you plan then GOOD - GO AHEAD and stop wittering on about it.

Also I appreciate the help you've already provided but you may not know, this is the internet and we're part of a forum where people expel advice for "free" its the whole point.
Yes, it is the internet. And yes, I do get how it works :rolleyes: Here's some news for you though. All this free advice on the net, a lot of it is crap from keyboard jockeys and barside know-it-alls. The trick is to sort the wheat from the chaff. You've had good advice from the horses mouth, and it's been validated by others here too.

Yet its seems you'd like money for your "consultancy". Again, I've taken on your advice about the bracket and changed that and taken on your advice about the structural load, and I've taken that on board!
No, I'm simply making you aware of the commercial value of the sound advice you've been given for free. It's up to you whether you choose whether you take it or not.

Now if any of the 205,368 other registered users could help me with some assistance on the material, that would be highly appreciated :)
TBH, I doubt the other 205,368 registered users give a flying fart about what you're planning. If they did then they'd have already contributed.

You're trying to turn what is a simple job in to some kind of massive technical project and suck in loads of peoples time until finally they just tell you what you want to hear. That's not asking for advice; it's just badgering until you get some kind of validation. Do you see the difference?

For the final time, do what you want and just get on with it.

Jeepers!

I'm clarifying my idea and looking for some validation yes. I have planned this whole thing with your guys help based on the belts and braces approach "professionals" use.

Now based on my own judgement I believe additional reinforcement is required as I've already stated. Therefore I will go ahead with this.

We had closed this matter and my next questions were related only to materials. That is all I need some helps with ;)

You're more than welcome to "unwatch" this topic, theres an option in your watched topics page to do this, just check the box and click unwatch and that ones for free (can I get a thanks?) :D

As the Dragons say, "I'm out."
I won't be investing any more of my time in this."

i am with the others 12mm ply across 3 studs is all you need
if you want a bit off extra then 3x2 either off the central stud to give you a 8" strip but overkill really

i am with the others 12mm ply across 3 studs is all you need
if you want a bit off extra then 3x2 either off the central stud to give you a 8" strip but overkill really

And would you use intesects to attach the bracket and use small bolts to attach the ply to the studs?

I mounted and 30kg tv on a cantilever bracket on no more than a sheet of mdf the size of the mount plate screwed to the wall. More the sufficient.

I mounted and 30kg tv on a cantilever bracket on no more than a sheet of mdf the size of the mount plate screwed to the wall. More the sufficient.

I imagine that was over top of the plasterboard giving it alot of strength. I plan to put it in place of the plasterboard so it is flush with the wall. Even I imagine you think its enough. And I see Lucid is in agreement ;)

I may then just put a could of 95mm across the studs instead of instead of 45. Either way I will be doing this on the weekend giving me time to think. Appreciate all the help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back