Mouting TV bracket to plasterboard wall

Sponsored Links
Really, here I've encountered some of the most negative probably worst people of the many forums I've been part of. I was hesitant even posting the updates.

Really, here I've encountered some of the most negative probably worst people of the many forums I've been part of.
Why? Because we told you the truth?

To be fair, everyone on here has pretty much given you the same advice. You've adopted some of it and then gone off piste with your own variations. That's absolutely your prerogative of course, but please don't criticise the forum members for being honest simply because you don't like the answer.

I was hesitant even posting the updates.

Actually, your update is very useful, thanks. If the rest of your noggins are fixed with the little L brackets as they seem to be here:

...then I think they won't provide much additional support at all. That leaves all the strength being provided by the original uprights to which the ply is fixed. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that exactly what everyone was saying would happen? :LOL:

Just couldnt resist huh?

My comment was not because people told me the "truth" it is the way in which they went about it. Big-all was the only one who responded with decency. The rest were negative and defensive, others even more as I didnt go with their idea. And having taken on advice about "professionals use" idea of belts and braces I went on to strengthen the support but not like their idea which seems to have upset some.

Anyway, Lucid you miss the entire point. The noggins are attached to the support which is attached to the main studs. And the noggins will take M8 90mm lag/coach screws through the ply. This is not what was suggested and not how it has "ended up". It doesnt use any plasterboard/ply bolts/intersects. The noggins are well supported and notice the second to last picture is the complete one from the one you quoted.

Sponsored Links
thanks for taking the time to update us i appreciate you taking the time to help others with the solution you found
i try not to do the frustrated he is not listening thing ;)
you are not my apprentice you are an individual with your own thoughts
to be honest over engineering is far preferable to oooppps my house has collapsed :confused:

Mass, you didn't have the first clue how to put the tv on the wall to begin with, so how can you improve the answer given by just adding more stuff (even when they tell you not to)? surely you can see how that's daft.

thanks for taking the time to update us i appreciate you taking the time to help others with the solution you found
i try not to do the frustrated he is not listening thing ;)
you are not my apprentice you are an individual with your own thoughts
to be honest over engineering is far preferable to oooppps my house has collapsed :confused:

Welcome :D - indeed and I agree. Thanks for the help! I'll be sure to post the finished pictures and list lessons learned too.

Mass, you didn't have the first clue how to put the tv on the wall to begin with, so how can you improve the answer given by just adding more stuff (even when they tell you not to)? surely you can see how that's daft.

They told me belts and braces. And I know they said single piece of ply but I dont see that as enough to hold a 27kg tv and 10kg bracket. Ply over plasterboard is certainly strong enough. Ply inplace of plasterboard maybe strong enough but I thought since I'm cutting out this piece of plasterboard might as well add some noggins (aka fireblocks) for additional support. This way stronger coach screws can be used in place of intersects or toggle bolts etc which are great for stationary weight, rated over 200lbs etc but like many have pointed out unknown when it comes to weight 25 inches away from the wall. Not sure what you find daft about this reasoning?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back