Move a door in concrete wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first post (y)

Long story short, the neighbours are really noisy- dogs, subwoofer, loud mouths.
I want to soundproof the party wall, but there is a door frame half way along it. To keep the door I need to move it along the wall otherwise the it becomes to narrow.
This house is a prefabricated Cornish unit, so this wall will be concrete.
Has anyone any experience of dealing with these things? Do they have reinforcement bar in them that would cutting or a lintel above the frame?

Sponsored Links
Its very difficult to insulate from sound coming in, so be sure you know the performance of the system you propose to use beofre messing about with the walls and door.

Altering openings in concrete walls requires an engineers input.

Thank you both.
It seems as though it’s as complicated as I was hoping it wouldn’t be. I want to put a stud wall up so the amount of soundproofing will be what it will be I guess, I’m not spending £1000’s on it.
Looks like I’ll be blocking the door up.

Sponsored Links
It seems as though it’s as complicated as I was hoping it wouldn’t be. I want to put a stud wall up so the amount of soundproofing will be what it will be I guess, I’m not spending £1000’s on it.
Looks like I’ll be blocking the door up.

Make sure there is a gap, between the stud wall and the concrete wall, or noise will pass through the studs. A second inner door will help keep noise out and still allow the original door to be used.

Make sure there is a gap, between the stud wall and the concrete wall, or noise will pass through the studs. A second inner door will help keep noise out and still allow the original door to be used.

Thanks Harry

It seems that most of the power of a soundproofing wall is the gap you create, so that is a very important point.

Where the stud wall needs to be, the door needs to be blocked up/ filled in- I've had the OK from my wife to lose the door now, so that's the plan at the moment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back