Move boiler - Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have a system boiler in my kitchen with flue directly outside from the back of it.

I've got a plan to replace the kitchen this year in the works and the boiler really needs replacing (Suprima 50).

Ive heard of some people moving boilers into the loft, is this a big undertaking and will it need massive amounts of pipe work?

Not sure I've got any other options to rehome the boiler in the house.

Help much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Not always a great to put boilers in lofts, if you do you will need a proper loft ladder installed and a proper walkway to the boiler position and permanent lighting with a protective rail around the loft hatch, I wouldnt even dream of moving your Suprima up there

God no, suprima is being replaced. Just reading and yes, access a pita, but its doable as I've got a loft ladder.

I'm about to do the same (replace Suprima) and will probably use a Vaillant or Gloworm with rear entry flue. Flue hole will need to be enlarged, but re-using it saves having to brick up old flue hole on a second floor flat.

Boilers in lofts require:

1. Proper loft ladder (which it sounds as if you already have).
2. Boarding under the boiler and from the boiler to the hatch opening (for servicing requirements).
3. Guard railing to boarding.
4. Properly installed electric lighting, again for servicing.

You might get someone to do the servicing without the boarding, lighting, guard rails, but they are taking a risk and you would almost certainly find any of the big companies refusing to do it.

You also need to think about controls. Do you want to have to go into the loft any time you want to change boiler temperature or (if a sealed system) top up the pressure? There are ways round some of the problems, but not all of them.

Sponsored Links
Boilers in lofts require:

1. Proper loft ladder (which it sounds as if you already have).
2. Boarding under the boiler and from the boiler to the hatch opening (for servicing requirements).
3. Guard railing to boarding.
4. Properly installed electric lighting, again for servicing.

Don’t forget access for the flue if having a boiler fitted in a loft.

I have all those except for number 3. British Gas insisted that I fitted a guard rail around the loft hatch if I accepted their quote for a new boiler in case one of their employees didn’t know how to avoid falling through it. TBH, I probably wouldn’t have felt comfortable having a bloke fit my boiler whose employer felt they couldn’t be trusted not to fall through my loft hatch. They also wanted £600 for scaffolding or a tower for the 2 minute job of slipping a trim ring on the new flue that would be using the existing flue hole. Two other RGI companies didn’t even mention it so one of those got the job.

I don’t know if it’s legal requirements or just BG's requirements to protect themselves from possible claims from staff who might have an accident. If it was a legal requirement, just like it’s a legal requirement to have gas work done by an RGI, I would have thought that the other installers may have mentioned it.

It is not a BG thing it is an actual requirement, if some one decides to go up anyway and something goes wrong their insurance wont cover them

This is sounding a rather expensive job lol.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll probably leave it where it is in the kitchen (probably why its there :) )

We put boilers in the loft all the time. Servicing and maintaining/repairing them there is a lot easier than when they've been intombed in a kitchen unit by a muppet!

Jeez! Guard rail around a loft hatch. That's going to make it really difficult to get up or down through it.

Watch out for all those nasty spiders lurking up there, guys. :ROFLMAO:

How did we ever win 2 wars?

most independents dont insist on a rail, but employees of large companies get audited and it *******ing time if they work on them Im afraid, personally I dont put boilers in lofts but its a preference thing, if you get a small leak on a system and the boiler is the highest point the cust is up and down all the time topping up the pressure or resetting the boiler.

Jeez! Guard rail around a loft hatch. That's going to make it really difficult to get up or down through it.

Watch out for all those nasty spiders lurking up there, guys. :ROFLMAO:

How did we ever win 2 wars?

I can understand loft ladder and proper boarding. Guard rail around a loft hatch seems a bit overboard.

I suppose any low rafters should have soft foam fitted in case of somebody banging their head.

Don’t forget access for the flue if having a boiler fitted in a loft.

I have all those except for number 3. British Gas insisted that I fitted a guard rail around the loft hatch if I accepted their quote for a new boiler in case one of their employees didn’t know how to avoid falling through it. TBH, I probably wouldn’t have felt comfortable having a bloke fit my boiler whose employer felt they couldn’t be trusted not to fall through my loft hatch. They also wanted £600 for scaffolding or a tower for the 2 minute job of slipping a trim ring on the new flue that would be using the existing flue hole. Two other RGI companies didn’t even mention it so one of those got the job.

I don’t know if it’s legal requirements or just BG's requirements to protect themselves from possible claims from staff who might have an accident. If it was a legal requirement, just like it’s a legal requirement to have gas work done by an RGI, I would have thought that the other installers may have mentioned it.

I cannot recall seeing a rail! It does seem a bit OTT. But why should we risk carrying gear while trying to find the joists, and carrying a torch?

Having said that, I remember that when I did a (very) short Bg stint as a contractor, only 4 years ago, we were expected to clamber in non floored lofts, to service (HaHa) boilers and inspect flues. At the Induction course, I asked how do we get to a flue when the joists are covered in 200mm of lagging? the instructor said "you just have to". In fact, they supplied a ply wood bit of kit. About 600mm square, 2 peices of ply webbed in the middle so it folds, to be able to stand on joists. Wonder if thongs have changed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back