Move boiler - Advice needed

Sponsored Links
You have to also complete a RAMS...

1. I will take care to not injure my head.
1a. By wearing a hardhat/bumpcap.

2. I will not fall through ceiling or loft hatch.
2a. By using a torch and my eyes.

:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

They also wanted £600 for scaffolding or a tower for the 2 minute job of slipping a trim ring on the new flue that would be using the existing flue hole.
good for them, better than some company sends someone up, and risks them getting seruoisly hurt or killed. I bet you would not pay for there medical bills, or funeral.

Sponsored Links
good for them, better than some company sends someone up, and risks them getting seruoisly hurt or killed. I bet you would not pay for there medical bills, or funeral.
Both independents had no problem with going up a ladder. I really don’t see what the problem was - it’s a bloody ladder for Christ's sake - people have been climbing them for years - roofers, TV aerial installers, satellite installers, Rod Hull....

Would you pay for mine if your car fell on me while I was under it? Going under a car is one of the 'risks' of the job in my trade, just like climbing a ladder should be in theirs. If they can’t do that, get a floor level job. You’ll be telling me they should be wearing gas masks next in case they get a whiff of it while connecting a gas pipe. :rolleyes:

Don’t forget access for the flue if having a boiler fitted in a loft.

I have all those except for number 3. British Gas insisted that I fitted a guard rail around the loft hatch if I accepted their quote for a new boiler in case one of their employees didn’t know how to avoid falling through it. TBH, I probably wouldn’t have felt comfortable having a bloke fit my boiler whose employer felt they couldn’t be trusted not to fall through my loft hatch. They also wanted £600 for scaffolding or a tower for the 2 minute job of slipping a trim ring on the new flue that would be using the existing flue hole. Two other RGI companies didn’t even mention it so one of those got the job.

I don’t know if it’s legal requirements or just BG's requirements to protect themselves from possible claims from staff who might have an accident. If it was a legal requirement, just like it’s a legal requirement to have gas work done by an RGI, I would have thought that the other installers may have mentioned it.

If you don't follow the requirements, the warranty on your boiler will be as good as useless. Manufactures engineers will not go up there

If you don't follow the requirements, the warranty on your boiler will be as good as useless. Manufactures engineers will not go up there
I have a well lit, fully boarded loft with a decent loft ladder. If any engineer is that troubled by me not having a loft hatch guard when they are up there, I’ll be the guard!

I have a well lit, fully boarded loft with a decent loft ladder. If any engineer is that troubled by me not having a loft hatch guard when they are up there, I’ll be the guard!

Well as long as you have a sword and a shield I'm sure the insurance company will be fine with it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back