Move Hot Water Cylinder - Please Help. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

We want to make more room in our bathroom so we can have a separate (pumped/power) shower. Currently there is a cupboard in the corner of the room with the hot water cylinder. Also, hopefully in the next year or two we also want to do a loft conversion so we don't want a cold water tank in the loft.

So, we thought to move the hot water cylinder to the rear of the garage. We thought to build a cupboard with 2x4, insulate and board it. We would also like to have the cold water tank above the hot water cylinder in the same cupboard. Finally, we'd like to pump the hot and cold water to the shower(and eventually to the eg suite shower in the loft).

Is what we want to do possible? I saw a flat once that had that setup (minus the shower pump) and that's what gave me the idea. Also, would we need a positive pump instead of a negative pump? Pumped water would run in 22mm pipe to the shower mixer.

Thank you so much for your help!

:D

Sponsored Links
Why not just move the cylinder to the garage and have an unvented? Then no pumps and no cold water tanks.

There is also the option of a combi boiler if multiple simultaneous draw off's isn't a problem.

Hi Dan

Thanks for your reply!

We don't want an unvented cylinder as we plan to use the same cylinder. Also, there are annual costs with them, cost more to fit, etc (as well as having to buy one ).

We really want pumped showers (wife wants a large rainshower too) which we can't do directly off a combi. Also with a cloakroom, family bathroom, kitchen and ensuite (to come) the demand on hot water could sometimes be a bit much given the flow rate on combis. We did think that when the boiler goes we might fit a combi with the pump/cylinder feeding the showers and the combi feeding the taps.

We just really hope that the tank/cylinder/cupboard idea works as we don't have a lot of space and it would be ideeal from that perspective.

Ah - I see - Champagne Ideas with beer money ;).

Decent negative head pump is not much less than an unvented cylinder and not necessarily maintenance free.

Unvented cylinders are silent.

I think you'll find the costs are roughly the same by the time you have fitted the CWS cistern and the frame to support it all.

But what do I know?

Sponsored Links
a properly sized and installed unvented will out perform a pump, if you have a massive draw the pump will deplete your existing tank very quickly

Hehe I like the champagne with beer money ;)

I've not checked flow rate and mains pressure as we hadn't really considered an unvented system but we "asked about" and we're told it would cost upwards of £1500 (London prices?) for an install with about 200l (which we were told would be enough).

The Stuart and turner pump (-ve/4bar) we looked at was about £450 and we've fitted (positive) Stuart and Turner monsoon pumps for two previous bathrooms so thought we could do it ourselves. We'd use everything we currently have, just move the tank and cylinder as described).

Would an unvented cylinder really outperform the ST pump? Also (and please forgive any ignorance) would a 220l cylinder and CWS tank not be the same as a 220l unvented in terms of coping with the demand?

Thanks again guys! :)

an unvented cylinder may outperform a pump, then again it may not.

checking your pressure and flow is a good place to start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back