move thermostat for central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.... just a thought i've been pondering. My central heating room stat is in my hall When the central heating comes on the heating knocks off when the hall temp. reaches the given setting. That means it heats up the rooms /bed rooms/ hall/ stairs and landing before knocking off. What if I move my stat. into the living/dining room. Then it won't take as long to heat up the place we spend time in the most. At today's gas prices I want to cut down as much as possible.
just a thought
cheers
mickcoulson

Sponsored Links
Swap for wireless one. I've done that myself. £40 ish for the one I got

Sponsored Links
Amazon or eBay. plenty on there for £40 ish.
Look at boiler information as some you just fit to boiler.
They are made by the boiler manufacturer and fit to control board. Just plug in.

What thermostat have you currently got?
Most wireless stats require mains supply for the receiver. Not all thermostats have this.

A bit pricey but you could consider something like Wiser, Tado, etc where each room can have a temperature schedule.

Hi.... just a thought i've been pondering. My central heating room stat is in my hall When the central heating comes on the heating knocks off when the hall temp. reaches the given setting. That means it heats up the rooms /bed rooms/ hall/ stairs and landing before knocking off. What if I move my stat. into the living/dining room. Then it won't take as long to heat up the place we spend time in the most. At today's gas prices I want to cut down as much as possible.
just a thought
cheers
mickcoulson

Your room stat, should normally be located in a space in which the radiator doesn't have a TRV.

If that is the hall, then you can set the TRV a little lower in temperature, to account for halls being generally a little cooler than other rooms. It shouldn't normally be in a room where you have other sources of heat, or where it is subjected to solar gain from the sun through windows.

However - Normally, my stat is in the hall, the one radiator where I have no TRV fitted. In the living room, I have a radiant gas fire - which is where I spend a lot of my time. As a compromise, due to energy costs, what I have been doing this winter, is to move the wireless stat into the living room, have it set quite to a low-ish temperature, and when I am cold, light the fire and close the living room door. The heat from the fire, shuts the CH off.

Why not just turn off or lower the trv’s/manual valves in the rooms not in use?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back