Move to WiFi control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Vaillant ecoFIT pure boiler running my central heating and feeding a hot water tank The boiler is controlled by a Horstmann H27XL and a salus wireless thermostat controlling my tower central heating pump. Can I swap out the Horstmann and salus for a Hive or similar? Just looking at the current savings to be had and wondered how difficult it would be? I'm happy with working with electrics. Any help appreciated. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can. The Hive [you need the Dual Channel Version] would directly replace the Horstmann. The existing wires are simply moved from the terminals of the Horstmann to the Hive terminals that have exactly the same function.....

HST.JPG

.....So based on the above diagrams, the wires in:

N = N

L = L

HW off (3) = Hot Water off (1) (This may, or may not have a wire in depending upon your plumbing arrangement)

HW on (1) = Hot Water on (3)

CH on (4) = Heating on (4)

The links at the Horstmann shown as dotted lines in the above diagram are discarded, the Hive dual channel version has these already made internally.

The wireless thermostat will go, but it can't just be disconnected, simply removing it would leave the heating wiring 'open circuit' and so it wouldn't work. The wiring to the Salus receiver would need a small modification to complete the circuit. When you get to this, if you post a photo of the wires connected to the Salus receiver someone will be able to assist.

Whilst this applies to Hive which you mentioned, the same principle applies for other manufacturers.
and a salus wireless thermostat controlling my tower central heating pump.
Are you sure about this bit? The room thermostat usually operates a motorised valve, unless you have a system that is 40 years old +

Last edited:
Many thanks for this response. You are most likely right re the motorised valve. The salus is connected to a junction box, which seems to control a couple of valves and possibly the pump? See photos.

Attachments

• 16063138610049070584851149070865.jpg
    16063138610049070584851149070865.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 16063138774293360292294325983646.jpg
    16063138774293360292294325983646.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 1606313895389362836354632221269.jpg
    1606313895389362836354632221269.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 82
Many thanks for this response. You are most likely right re the motorised valve. The salus is connected to a junction box, which seems to control a couple of valves and possibly the pump? See photos.
no the valve or boiler controls the pump , you have an S plan bungee cord + system :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
These are motorised valves.

Capture.JPG

The room and hot water cylinder thermostats will open and close the valves, and it's then the valves that control the boiler and pump. Anyway the original description of how to change the controls is OK for what you have.

Sorry for what is probably going to be a stupid question, but if the Solus goes, what acts as the room thermostat? I presume the hive will be situated where the Horstmann is currently, as in under the boiler.
Most of my radiators do not have thermostatic valves. I would have thought that I would need to replace the Solus with a hive version of a wireless thermostat?

Thanks again for the advice.

The Hive Active Heating system has two components, a room thermostat that is battery operated and that replaces the old thermostat. It communicates with the receiver that replaces the existing programmer wirelessly.

Hive.JPG

If you don't have an existing Nest hub you will also need one of those to facilitate communication with the internet. Don't worry about wiring, it just plugs in.

hub.JPG

The three items can be purchased as a kit.

You will need the Dual Channel Receiver to include hot water control. This is sometimes called 'Hive Active Heating & Hot Water Thermostat' as opposed to just the 'Hive Active Heating Thermostat'

Thanks Stem. So would this do the job?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077RF29ZY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_rDOVFbW7NDS3S?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure on the differences between Nest and Hive, but the Nest blurb on the website states that it would work with gas boiler, hot water tank and wireless thermostat, which seems to be my set up.

Cheers
That is just the stand , you need the full kit as @stem suggests either Hive dual channel or nest 3rd gen will do it there are others of course

Everything required for Hive can be seen if you click here. Other suppliers are available :)....as are other manufacturers such as Nest 3rd gen.

Nest-e does not have hot water control so would not be suitable.

Brilliant. Thanks so much for your responses. One last one, which would you go for out of Nest or Hive, or is there another manufacturer worth considering?

Just looking at the current savings to be had and wondered how difficult it would be?

Two of the most important questions and the answers so far outline the difficulties. What do you anticipate the savings might be? Important to know your fuel consumption in kWhrs for the year which are usually available as a report from your energy supplier so you can balance cost with saving.

Brilliant. Thanks so much for your responses. One last one, which would you go for out of Nest or Hive, or is there another manufacturer worth considering?
I like Hive and have it in my own house, others prefer nest as it supports a thing called open therm, which is another way of controlling things, the nest system needs either a hard wire USB into a plug for the thermostat or the stand, the hive thermostat is battery powered so makes things a lot easier, all depends on what you want really

I had thought by savings, the OP was referring to the 'Black Friday' savings on the product itself. :)

Nest claims to learn your lifestyle and will make some adjustments itself. Some people really like this feature others don't. Nest doesn't require a hub either, so that might be an advantage to some.

Hive is easier to install in most cases, and there isn't a requirement to get power to the thermostat. On the other hand you have to change the batteries from time to time.

It's a subjective question really, like what car should I buy? It comes down to your personal preferences

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back