Move toilet out from the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I need to move our toilet out from the wall a few cm because we’re panelling behind it. The waste pipe comes out from the wall behind it and was just wondering - is there’s generally any give in the pipe or if we need to get a new one with an extra few cm on it?

Sorry if it’s a daft question but we’ve only got one bathroom so have to get it all planned out in advance so it’s not out of action too long

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi all.

I need to move our toilet out from the wall a few cm because we’re panelling behind it. The waste pipe comes out from the wall behind it and was just wondering - is there’s generally any give in the pipe or if we need to get a new one with an extra few cm on it?

Sorry if it’s a daft question but we’ve only got one bathroom so have to get it all planned out in advance so it’s not out of action too long

thanks in advance.
Dunno about a few cm but can you move it really depends on the piping there. Do you have a photo from each side.

Thanks for all the advice MeldrewsMate.
I’ll have to remember to pick up a new connector next time I’m at b and q (and a bucket)

Here are some pics from either side just pumps, it’s a bit dusty back there :-/
DA5E1F2E-4887-4F14-9BB1-C9E490015BBE.jpeg 5C9DA514-D937-42FA-AA22-0165760DB4B3.jpeg
sorry, not sure how to tag people properly on this.

Sponsored Links
Cistern feed pipe looks like solid copper so that probably will need looking at and the donut seal between cistern and pan looking a bit rusty so a new joint required there.
Could you leave pan in place until the last moment and use a bucket of water to flush the pan?

Ah that’s a great idea, I can probably get most of it done with just the cistern removed - hadn’t thought of that. Never even heard of a donut seal so thanks for the pointer on that too. This is a learning experience

Ah that’s a great idea, I can probably get most of it done with just the cistern removed - hadn’t thought of that. Never even heard of a donut seal so thanks for the pointer on that too. This is a learning experience
You can buy a plastic collar to cover up the hole where the 4" pipe goes through the wall. I`ll try and find the link to one later unless someone else can.

I left our toilet base in and used bucket as a flush.

We were in same boat, only 1 toilet!. Was a busy couple of hours after I'd smashed the old one out, luckily all went to plan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back