Moved home recently??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am interested to here from anyone who has moved home recently and would like to know what three things did you forget that caused the most hassle during the move, practical things like the washing machine plumbing did not fit my machine or had forgotten there was no curtain rail in the new house.
Anything at all, even minor problems like having no loo roll holder in the toilet etc.etc. :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
14 years ago I forgot to leave the missus at the old house! :confused:

Sponsored Links
moved into my first home... forgot 3 vital things...
no can opener..
no toilet roll ( you'd have thought the last owners would have left me one on the holder.. )..
no cooker... ( it was my first house, how was I supposed to know they'd take it with them.. )

We sold our old house and didn't have anywhere to go! Moved in with the outlaws for a few months!

So all our stuff was going into storage. We hired a removal company to come in and take everything and put it into storage. They were EXCELLENT! They sorted everything! They even took the cups from the cupboards and wrapped them individually before packing. It took them a good eight hours to CLEAR the whole house. They finished about 5pm and went off.

We had a few family members with us helping tidy and clean round. We finally finished about 8.30pm. We went round checking everything was ok, secure etc. We left a card and a bottle of wine on the kitchen bench for the new owners, went to the hall to set the alarm..... "ermmm, where's the coats?" Says the wife's sister. Yep you've guessed it!!! They'd only gone and taken all our coats as well!!! One of us had to nip round to one of the family to get a spare key in order to lock up! It was bloody freezing as well!!!

My tips.... make sure you have Corkscrew and Bottle Opener! You can make do after that!

When I moved into my house (1986) some joker had placed a tailors dummy, hanging from the ridge beam. :eek: .....when I first opened the loft hatch I nearly Sh*t myself :D
John :)

Can't afford to move home but I have moved a boat recently.

While off the Isle of wigght I forgot the black gallon can was diesel and poured it in to the petrol supply for the engine :oops:

I've made the earth move but never made a house move... :cool:

Here are some things which cause most hassle while shifting, if forgot -

1. Pack a suitcase or box for each member of the family several days in advance.
2. Create a "Moving File" with important paperwork you will need throughout your move.
3. Make sure to pack everything that belongs in a particular room together in a room labeled box.

Pack boxes of stuff you don't use day to day and store them at friends/family's houses, so on the day of the move you have less stuff to shift.

Ive not as such moved house, but when bought my first house a year ago and moved from company accomdation into it.

Spend about a month amassing stuff I needed for a house, washing machine, furnature, matresses, microwave. I arranged for them to leave the fridge/sofa/tv and the cooker/curtains/etc where included, although they did take some fittings with them that where supposed to be included, little things like the towel rail and loo roll holders.

So for me I would say, make sure you have paperwork for any of the big things they could take but are included in the sale. This should be done for you, and i didnt both chasing them for a £10 towel rail set, but it was good to know I had a signed form saying the cooker/curtains etc was staying.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Back