Moved into new home... help me make sense of heating/hot water system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a new house and it would appear the previous owner put in a seemingly complex heating system. I'll do my best to describe the setup, but in case pics are helpful, see here:

Ground Floor;

* 3 underfloor heating zones (kitchen, reception, hallway)

First Floor;

* 1 underfloor heating zone (bathroom w/ thermostat outside of bathroom door)
* Radiators (same 'zone' throughout house w/ thermostat at top of stairs on 1st floor)

Second floor;

* Radiators (same 'zone' throughout house w/ thermostat at top of stairs on 1st floor)

Programming Units;

* Heatmiser Neohub + UH8
* neostat v2 units for each underfloor zone + radiators (5 total)
* neostat-hw v2 unit for Hot Water
* neostat-hw for Hot Water Circulation Pump

Heating Units

* Boiler: Greenstar 30 CDi Classic System ErP
* Filter: MagnaClean Professional
* Hot Water Circulator: WILO YONOS PICO 25/1-6-130 GLANDLESS CIRCULATING PUMP 230V
* Portable Expansion Vessel: Zilmet Ultra Pro 24 Litre Potable Expansion Vessel
* Hot Water Tank: 300 liter w/ 2 immersion heaters

Few immediate questions;

1. My neostat-hw for Hot Water Circulation Pump is showing as offline and the thermostat unit's screen is completely off and did not turn back on, even after turning the switch off and on. Would this mean the pump is running 24x7, or not running at all? If it is running 24x7, how costly is this from an energy efficiency perspective (aka how quickly should I look to get this fixed)?
2. Any reason why I couldn't get a neostat-hw v2 to replace the neostat-hw that isn't working for the Hot Water Circulation Pump?
3. Once I get the hot water circulator neostat working again, what should I schedule the hours for? Guessing just core waking hours from 7am-9pm?
4. What temperature should I set hot water tank to? Currently set to 65c. Pretty much all the hot water tank manufacturers suggest 60-65c due to legionella, but the consumer websites typically recommend between 50-60?
5. What temperature should I set my boiler to? Currently set to 67c.
6. The radiators cover 2 full floors while relying on a single thermostat in the 1st floor hallway. Seems prone to temperature inaccuracies due to thermostat placement and also inefficient use of energy to heat rooms we're not in. During the day, we would be in one, maybe 2 rooms (out of 5) that are on the radiator zone. At night, we'd only be in 1 of the rooms, but sleeping so we'd want it to be cold anyway. Would switching the radiators over to smart TRVs to allow for individuals heating zones help save money?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back