Moved into property ... No fuses?

Sponsored Links
Nothing at all was mentioned about the electrics, the boiler was mentioned but we knew that needed replacing with a combi and we factored that in.

The meter looks to be a dual rate, but only using one rate as there doesn't appear to be a time switch or a switch wire to the meter.
The sequence of wires to it are correct.

If I recall, the earth connection on that cut-out is on the side, so I would agree with an earlier post that the earthing is TT, whilst PME (TNC-S) is obviously available it has not been used.

Sponsored Links
It's probably a TT supply which has been upgraded to PME, and either the old earth rod left there (nothing wrong with that) or the new PME earth is not being used (a bit pointless).

Your electrician can poke about and see.

OH has gone off to the old house for a few more things so may be tomorrow.
That's an interesting aside.

For how long will you have 2 houses?

I ask because if you are going to have a rewire or significant changes done it'll be easier and quicker, and therefore cheaper, if it's done in an unoccupied property.

Much of this may be relevant:

//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/buying-house-rewiring-query.331986/#2466361

In my experience of Staffs supplies, this is very typical.

It was historically a TT supply, but as the DNO has gone round replacing the supply cables, they have provided PME, but they always reinstate what was there before, ie TT.

So, PEB your gas and water with 10/16, then fit a 16mm² earth tail to the REVO, then call the DNO and ask them to connect it (if you can't access the terminal yourself) or connect it if you can.

For how long will you have 2 houses?

I ask because if you are going to have a rewire or significant changes done it'll be easier and quicker, and therefore cheaper, if it's done in an unoccupied property.

We won't have both houses for much longer only until the end of the week. Just waiting until a reasonable hour to start ringing around electricians!

Thanks all

Andi

It's probably a TT supply which has been upgraded to PME, and either the old earth rod left there (nothing wrong with that) or the new PME earth is not being used (a bit pointless).

Although, in theory, the rod then becomes an extraneous conductive part and should therefore have a minimum of a 10mm cable to it.

Not if you don't connect it to anything, surely?

Then it's just a lump of metal outside the house not attached to anything.

It is just another of the protective Multiple earths on the PME system. Very useful as a back up if the neutral breaks somewhere in the network and the MET is no longer an "earth" at ground potential.

Although, in theory, the rod then becomes an extraneous conductive part and should therefore have a minimum of a 10mm cable to it.
Extraneous-conductive-part: A conductive part liable to introduce a potential, generally Earth potential, and not forming part of the electrical installation.

Ok had one local electrician round this morning he looked at the inlet/fuse board and also undid a couple of pendant lights upstairs and downstairs also looked at the gas and water.

He recommends a PIR but can't do it for at least 2-3 weeks
Not sure if the lights are earthed but looks as if there are 2 neutrals and a live the earth may have been cut off but until we can get a PIR there's no way of knowing
The gas and water need earthing
He recommends the PME earth to be connected instead of the TT
The earth cable isn't big enough
The inlet cables aren't big enough
New consumer unit
Possible re-wire
Late 70's house build and wiring

Waiting for a couple of other electricians to get back to me and also give their views, also emailed the solicitor!

He recommends a PIR but can't do it for at least 2-3 weeks
Not sure if the lights are earthed but looks as if there are 2 neutrals and a live the earth may have been cut off but until we can get a PIR there's no way of knowing
The gas and water need earthing
He recommends the PME earth to be connected instead of the TT
The earth cable isn't big enough
The inlet cables aren't big enough
New consumer unit
Possible re-wire
Late 70's house build and wiring

Waiting for a couple of other electricians to get back to me and also give their views, also emailed the solicitor!

If it's that bad (which I suspect it is) then you might as well save the money on the PIR and just go for a rewire. Late 70s wiring won't have enough sockets anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back