Moving a light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for some advice on the following procedure.

I want to remove a light switch (2way) from the middle of the hall (bungalow) to the end of the hall outside the bathroom. Now at the moment the switch is one of those horrible ones with a box and the cable running up the outside of the wall covered with trunking. There was another box switch at the other end of the hall but I have sunk that into the plasterboard using a back box and connected the cable in the wall.

Now my problem is that although it is easy to extend the switch cable to the other end of the hall and sink in the backbox I am concerned the electrical feed cable will be sharing a void with 2 copper pipes that feed the shower. I have a shower fitted in the bathroom that feeds directly off the combi boiler and has two water feeds running in the void of the wall behind the tiles.

So to put a picture in your head. I have a wall that partitions the end of the hall and the bathroom. At the moment there is nothing on the hall side of the wall apart from a door leading into the bathroom. On the bathroom side there is a shower valve that is fed from two copper pipes sunk into the wall and going up into the loft. I want to fit the switch on the hall side wall at the edge of the door leading into the bathroom. It'll look nicer and not be in a stupid position in the middle of the hall.

Is there a distance the cable must be away from the water pipes or can you never share a void in such circumstances? If not can anyone recommend a different approach allowing me to fit a switch in this position but not looking as crude as before?

Many Thanks in advance.

Russell.

Sponsored Links
The cable can share the same void but try to ensure they are kept as far away from the pipes as possible.

If the pipes are not lagged you could add some which would help.

Edit. If the cables are hidden and are within 50mm of the surface, either side of the wall then they must be either mechanically or RCCD protected.

Remember, if the extended cable is standard t&e and will be installed less than 50mm from the surface then RCD protection will be required.
Safe wiring zones still apply.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the replys.

If I understand you, you are saying they need to be protected in case e.g. someone drills into them by mistake.

Now last year an electrician moved and replaced my old fuse box with a MCB based consumer unit. I live in a bungalow so it covers the lighting and plugs and strangely also one plug in the kitchen has it's own mcb. I do not have an electric cooker or an electric shower.

If I am not mistaken they are also protected by an RCD built in to the unit. Earlier in the year I was cutting the lawn and cut through the wire (muppet) and this tripped all the plugs in the house. I am guessing the lighting circuits would be protected similiarly or am I mistaken.

I have the plasterer coming round on Friday and don't want to do this switch unless I know it's Ok.

Thanks for your advice guys always very helpful.

Russell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back