moving a manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
do i need permision to move a manhole if so who from the local council or water authority or both. is it a big job and what would be the rough cost to do so?

Sponsored Links
Is this within your boundary, i.e. private manhole? If it's private, then you shouldn't have to contact the water authority.

You will not require Planning but you will need Building Reg's and you may also need to check local bylaws and restrictive covenants in your property deeds.

do i need permision to move a manhole if so who from the local council or water authority or both. is it a big job and what would be the rough cost to do so?

I agree with DevilDamo - Needs building control approval.

As for the Job size and Cost, you need to have specifics e.g.
If the drain is shared will it need temporary pumping over?
Is it a small manhole formed with one of those plastic tubs, ot is it something bigger. What is the largest pipe? and how many junctions are going to need redirecting to the new position? How deep is it?

As it is not just the manhole involved but the drain runs to it, there is also the matter of how far things are moved and what drains need to be replaced, shortened or extended. Will the new position be in a traffic area such as you drive, if so construction, cover and frame will need to be upto the job. Hopefully no other "inground" services will be affected!

The best bet is to get a plan drawn up for approval then you can use it to get quotes for the work. If it is a really simple move you may be able to tackle it yourself.

i need to move a manhole is it a big job and what would be the rough cost to do so?

If you are moving the chamber either directly upstream or down stream then the job won't be too difficult unless the depth of the drains is excessive i.e. greater than say 1m.

If you wish to change direction or divert the drain around an obstacle but connect to the same line then obviously you need to check that the falls will be adequate once completed.

Cost will depend largely upon depth, access, and complexity.

Sponsored Links
cheers for all the info, i will contact the local council and see abuot building regs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back