Moving a Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I would like to move an electric meter.
The bloke from the power company said it cant go under the stairs these days. Which is a shame as its just the other side of the wall from its current position. The quote to move it outside is a lot of money.
So If its being moved hardly at all is it ok to have it in a cupboard in the kitchen. If so can an electrician do it?
And do energy suppliers offer this, Because my contract is running out and I could try and go to particular supplier presumably one of the bigger ones?

Thanks if you can answer any of the questons.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help Dave.

A little update in case anyone's interested.

I found a company called crown energy who do electric and gas meter moves.
A bloke turned up from uk power network to have a look and quoted me just over £1000 to move it 7m with me doing the digging. He said he'd email that day. I never got that email but crown sent one quoting about £2000.
They also quoted me £1500 for the gas one without a survey, Ive already has a quote from sgn for £700 .
So they seem to be a middle man that gets quotes and just doubles it and tries their luck with the customer.

Sponsored Links
I just asked them:

Yes, please explain how you are authorised to move equipment that is the property of the DNO?
cloud

Ruby 12:11
it would be the DNO that move the service, we don't do the direct labour we arrange the works

And take a cut of the top, I assume!

Ruby 12:12
that's correct, we add a management fee for our services

BTW: that isn't really "Ruby":
https://depositphotos.com/1175254/stock-photo-young-blonde-woman.html

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back