Moving a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved home and wish to move a radiator, which is currently placed on a wall behind the sofa, not ideal.

I want to move it to another wall. The current pipework is 15mm. Will it make a huge difference if I drop the size to 10mm to feed the new rad location, which will be approx. 2M extra run on the current pipes.

The radiator is 1600 x 410mm single if that makes a difference ?

The reason for using 10mm is I need to traverse a slow bend in the bay window, which will be easier to do and the Mrs is whinging about the pipes being on show so smaller = better too.

Sponsored Links
It's not a huge radiator and a total of 4m of 10mm pipework is unlikely to make a serious difference.

You can get a fair idea of how much pump pressure is available at the radiator by firing up the heating, closing the lockshield valve and then very slowly opening it, listening for a hissing noise as the water is forced through the smaller valve gap.

The more noise you get when the valve is just open, the less likely you are to have any problems with smaller pipework and in any case rebalancing the system should allow you to iron out any reduction in flow.

Thanks mate. I will have to read up on rebalancing !!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back