Moving a range cooker.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Took delivery of a new cooker today - 109cm x 62cm, 180kg. Currently in the hall as not quite ready for it in the kitchen.

At least, that was the original thought, as the plan was to trundle it in to a space in the kitchen, then when we were ready to do walls/floor/new units etc, trundle it out, fit the kitchen, trundle it back.

Plans now in tatters, as it trundles about as well as I can juggle soot underwater. 'kin thing doesn't even move sideways on it's wheels, only fore/aft, and strange as it may seem my doorways aren't 1.1m wide. :evil:

Any suggestions on how to move it?

Sponsored Links
Can you get assistance to physically lift it off the floor & carry it? Do you have a pallet & 4 wheel bogey? Do you have any short scaffolding poles or other makeshift rollers? Do you have the mind power to levitate it? :LOL: Can't really think of anything that you would not have already thought of yourself.

Assuming its a rangemaster by description excellent choice ! they are heavy but can be lifted by two men.... done it loads of times ! they can be lightened by taking everything out, drawer, oven racks, doors can be taken off, pan supports etc etc. Good luck.

Can you get assistance to physically lift it off the floor & carry it?
Possibly, but lifting is a problem as there's almost nothing on the underside to take the load. It has a full-width pan drawer on telescopic runners, and one of the problems I've had to report to the retailer is that when their delivery guys put it on a sack truck, thus lifting it by the drawer, they bent and twisted the runners and pulled them away from the cooker and drawer. :evil:

Can't really think of anything that you would not have already thought of yourself.
A suggestion on another site was 2 sheets of hardboard taped together, shiny side down, polythene sheet over the floor and slide it.

Sponsored Links
Assuming its a rangemaster by description excellent choice
Mercury RC1090.

mercury_rc1090_range_cooker.jpg

The original one, from before the company was bought by the people who make Britannia etc who immediately trashed it and started making one which looks very similar but is based on one of their existing chassis and is a pile of sh**e in comparison.

When the blokes delivered our cooker, they had straps which they feed underneath the cooker, then the two of them lifted it around.

You could put 2 ropes underneath it , tie a loops at each end. Put a couple of poles trough the loops and lift it up.

2 blokes required i think..
A

[quote
A suggestion on another site was 2 sheets of hardboard taped together, shiny side down, polythene sheet over the floor and slide it.
That sounds reasonable, but I think negotiating doorways might be a problem.

Assuming its a rangemaster by description excellent choice
Mercury RC1090.

mercury_rc1090_range_cooker.jpg

The original one, from before the company was bought by the people who make Britannia etc who immediately trashed it and started making one which looks very similar but is based on one of their existing chassis and is a pile of sh**e in comparison.

Rangemaster make mercury models their chassis is one of the best on the market dont know who make britannia now but if its a rangemaster made version will have to disagree with you on the ****e comment !
definately one of the best manufacturers out their in that particular price bracket, Falcons superb another rangemaster propduct !

Sorry - I've compared the original Mercury to the new pretend one, and the new one IS a pile of sh**e compared to the old.

When we chose the Mercury we did also look at Britannia and Smeg and Rangemaster etc.

And we chose the Mercury because in comparison all the others were markedly inferior.

You'll note I used a different term of comparison there - and your comment about the particular price bracket is why. Rangemasters are what - £1500 ish? I wouldn't describe them as a POS for a £1500 cooker. Aga-Rangemaster are now asking over £4500 for the Mercury, and by the standards of a £4.5K cooker I'm afraid it is a POS.

I agree about Falcon - they are also good - as I recall the one we liked the look of was about the same price as the Mercury was then - £3.5K-ish.

Possibly, but lifting is a problem as there's almost nothing on the underside to take the load. It has a full-width pan drawer on telescopic runners, and one of the problems I've had to report to the retailer is that when their delivery guys put it on a sack truck, thus lifting it by the drawer, they bent and twisted the runners and pulled them away from the cooker and drawer. :evil

Already sounds like they'll have to replace it anyway BAS.
When they do get the delivery blokes to put it in the kitchen. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Replace or repair.

Replace worries me because this model is now out of production and the new one is a POS.

But even if we had been ready for it in the kitchen, and even if they had put it in there it would still be broken, and as "ready" would include gas chappy to connect it and old cooker on its way to the great kitchen in the sky we'd be in an even worse state. At least now it's only a b****y nuisance being in the hall....

Sorry - I've compared the original Mercury to the new pretend one, and the new one IS a pile of sh**e compared to the old.

When we chose the Mercury we did also look at Britannia and Smeg and Rangemaster etc.

And we chose the Mercury because in comparison all the others were markedly inferior.

You'll note I used a different term of comparison there - and your comment about the particular price bracket is why. Rangemasters are what - £1500 ish? I wouldn't describe them as a POS for a £1500 cooker. Aga-Rangemaster are now asking over £4500 for the Mercury, and by the standards of a £4.5K cooker I'm afraid it is a POS.

I agree about Falcon - they are also good - as I recall the one we liked the look of was about the same price as the Mercury was then - £3.5K-ish.
Nothing made in the Rangemaster factory is a POS, the new Mercury will be built exactly the same as a Falcon and will last for as long as you want to keep it, its built differently to the Mercury as quite frankly the Mercury build was a bit silly, I always prefered the Falcon over Mercury myself (though dont get me wrong the Mercury is an excellent choice) as with Falcon you generally get a better spec for less money.

BAS do you have a local shop that gets its deliveries from a bakery or their RDC on flat bed containers with detachable sides? coop use them and so do hovis. if so ask them if you can borrow one, lift the cooker up on one end and slide it under, wheel the cooker to where you want it, remove trolley and return it. i've moved a 1/4 ton engine like this so a cooker would be a doddle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back