Moving a Rayburn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have an approximate idea of the cost to move a Rayburn in a kitchen? It's oil fired and does central heating as well as cooking.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Where do you want it moved to?
Do you want the plumbing done as part of the job?

?
?
?

From one side of the kitchen to another :D

And yes, the plumbing connections would need to be moved too.

Thanks.

In that case £1,000,000 (you may get some change). This should cover any nasties that are uncovered, but don't bank on it being straightforward. It may be, but there are horrid things lurking in Pandora's box.

Sponsored Links
I'd move that Rayburn into a SKIP, then I'd drive down to Devizes and buy a nice new Grant condensing Boiler!! ;)

I removed Rayburn out of my house replaced it with a nice lpg range cooker.
Much better. Oil or lpg boiler for you much better.

Only place for Rayburn is some eco warrior who thinks burning
a few bits of wood in it is going to save the planet.

I put my one on a pallet truck to move it. Great heavy lumps they are.
Luckily I had a fork lift to lift it out of the front door!

I'd move that Rayburn into a SKIP, then I'd drive down to Devizes and buy a nice new Grant condensing Boiler!! ;)

Now... interesting... I had considered this - can you tell me more about oil fired boilers? What sort of thing would I need for a 3 bed victorian semi? Does is plumb in like a conventional gas fired boiler - i.e. pump circulating water through a cylinder and rads?

Thanks.

Now... interesting... I had considered this - can you tell me more about oil fired boilers? What sort of thing would I need for a 3 bed victorian semi? Does is plumb in like a conventional gas fired boiler - i.e. pump circulating water through a cylinder and rads?

Thanks.

Yes simple and robust. 15kW to 20kw oil boiler will happily heat the place.
Even put it outside an external boiler. Run the pipes through to the wall to where the existing rayburn is. Job done. It will have more heating ability than
that old rayburn.

Interesting thought and given that I want to move some rads, hot water cylinder etc would give me the chance to completely revamp things.

Any recommendations on models I should look at? You mention Grant, what about WB? And are oil fired combis the same as gas fired ones - it looked like they work a bit differently.

Thanks.

However. it won't do the cooking, but then it won't use £30 of oil a WEEK!!

Interesting thought and given that I want to move some rads, hot water cylinder etc would give me the chance to completely revamp things.

Any recommendations on models I should look at? You mention Grant, what about WB? And are oil fired combis the same as gas fired ones - it looked like they work a bit differently.

Thanks.

Oil boilers work on the heat store principle. Give very fast delivery of hot
water. Approx 20 litres a minute. Great heavy lumps with the extra weight
of the store. My preference is unvented cylinder with normal oil boiler a lot
easier on the burner of the boiler than an oil combi.

Don't touch WB, they are an installer's boiler, not an owner's. Grant is ok. Yes £30 a week for a vapourising type. If yours is a 400 series then they are much cheaper to run, and you may as well keep it. They have separate cooker and boiler pressure jet burners. Which model is it?

Get a combi if you like shoving wasps in private places.

Not sure what model it is - not actually moved into the place yet. Think I'm going down the idea of replacing it though - the kitchen could be modelled so much better.

What model of Grant would make sense to look at? And how much would I be charged to install/commission one?

It is worth looking to see which model it is. The two burner models can be effective as boilers plus cookers, although some of them are dogs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back