Moving alarm cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are soon to embark on a garage conversion.

Currently, the alarm panel is in the garage and there are 3 cables running from it at high level (but below ceiling level) tacked to the wall. As far as I can tell one is for an internal sounder, 1 for the front door sensor and 1 for the keypad.

Should I aim to move these cables into the ceiling void when I carry out the works (existing ceiling will be coming down) or can I dry line my wall with the cables in the small cavity behind?

If I try to move them, I will need to disconnect one end of them (or possibly replace with a longer length) Will I be ok to do this with my normal code or will I need an engineer code?

Sponsored Links
Best practise would be to mechanically protect cables then cover with dry lining. As long as you know where they are not a big issue.
As for disconnecting, what is the panel?
Depends on that and maybe how it is programmed, so you may well need the ENG code.

No hastle method, cover cables with plastic caping, dryline over.
Job done.

Thanks Alarm. Sounds a good plan. I've realised though that the keypad and sounder will need moving as I will be opening a doorway where they are. Hopefully I can find enough slack on the cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back