Moving an empty skip on your own

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just an information thread rather than a question!

Skip folks came and replaced my skip but left the new one in the middle of the driveway - I'd asked for it to be put on the grass as I wanted to use the drive for our car.

After a bit of googling only I had found out that an empty skip weighs the same as 2 kangaroos and a sheep, or a single donkey, but I couldn't actually find any info of how/if I could move an empty (8 ton) skip easily.

After a bit of messing around trying to lift/push the skip, I took inspiration from the druids / Stonehenge and used a wrecking bar and a block of wood to leverage the skip to lift it, then I simply moved it using a rowing motion.

If a picture says a thousand words, I'm guessing a video says a million. Here's a little sped up video of me doing the deed.

Hope it helps someone else :)

Sponsored Links
Had a skip many years ago and filled it to the top with wood, thought it would be a waste of money to get it emptied so we just lit it, Jeez, it burn't well, it was like a bloody inferno, it all turned cheery red went and the sides buckled outwards, it was sort of like a enormous black bucket, I got someone with a JCB to batter the sides back in so as it was more skip shape, it looked horrendous., We then filled it with rubble. I was quite concerned the skip company would go mental and I would have to buy hem a new one or something. But the bloke who took it away was either not bothered or couldn't care less, he left a new looking yellow one and didn't even say could I take a bit more care.

Sponsored Links
Nice job but is your house the collection point for the whole streets wheelie bins? :rolleyes:
2 x Green bins for garden waste are only collected every 3 weeks, and a mow of our lawns fills a bin.

2 x Brown recycling bins, collected for fortnightly and they are always full when collected.

1 x Grey general waste bin which is collected on opposing weeks to the recycling. That’s usually only half full when collected nowadays.

My plan is to build and bin store down the side of the house at some point, but got some other jobs on the go at the moment :D

Done the same with scaffold poles, only thing you wanna watch out for (could be wrong here) when the lorry lifts the skip off the ground it sometimes moves the skip backwards a bit away from the lorry, seen them extend the arm on the lorry to do this. So don’t have it right up against a wall/your porch or whatever

Me and a helper moved a 30foot+ portacabin by hand, scaffold tubes as rollers under the legs at one end, and 2 pallet pump trucks under the other end

I used to have a buddy in a family skip business, I went out with him in a skip lorry a few times, and he shunted the empty skips around the yard, pushing them with the front bumper. We went out to a paper factory and he pushed empty ones under the waste conveyor.

He only bothered lifting up the full ones.

I used to have a buddy in a family skip business, I went out with him in a skip lorry a few times, and he shunted the empty skips around the yard, pushing them with the front bumper. We went out to a paper factory and he pushed empty ones under the waste conveyor.

He only bothered lifting up the full ones.
Sounds like a grand day out :)

Sounds like a grand day out :)
He liked to do it on a Sunday morning, rather than pay a driver half a day's overtime, and call in at disreputable East End pubs for the lunchtime show.

Not quite my sort of thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back