Should I complain about this CH plumber? Is it safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm desperately in need of some advice from some of you highly experienced plumbers and central heating engineers.

We've just had a new combi fitted and the whole process has been a bit traumatic. Each evening we have sunk into bed exhausted after cleaning up a days worth of mess, spillages, strewn small objects (we have children), mortar stains, grinding wheel stains, blue stuff coming off joints onto carpets (could be flux?), and the contents of radiators emptied onto the driveway.

Yesterday there was a flood of water by a new radiator while the installers were in the house, and it was left to me to find it then clear it up. We had to pull back the carpet and leave radiators on for hours to evaporate the spill as it had soaked the underlay. Not a word from the plumber.

Then today, after he had filled the radiator with inhibitor, he again spilled a load in the same place then just mentioned it in passing. It reeks of chemical and I'm not sure if it'll ever come out. Again, hasn't lifted a finger to clear the spill.

Since all of that is cosmetic damage, I haven't complained, because I know how impossible it is to do work without small amounts of damage to finishes. However, the plumber having finally finished and gone home, I've looked at his other work more closely and wonder whether he has applied the same shoddy mentality to that?

I really hate to complain, so I'm coming on here please asking whether one of you can confirm the soldered joints look just about ok, or whether I should get someone in to check them over.

This is the one I'm most concerned about.

Also, should there be solder all over the carpet in the under-stair cupboard?

Would you have cleared the old cold water tank out of the loft or thrown it aside onto the insulation?

Is it safe and legal to have used duck-tape to hold the flue together?

Does the Gas safe register / Corgi cover workmanship or standards? For example, mortar was left on the driveway which I can't get off now.

Perhaps most worrying of all, the 240 volt mains supply to the boiler was left hanging around, and the switch just secured by one screw. It moves, and the plasterboard around it is so damaged that I can get my finger behind it:

I hope someone can advise. We feel a bit down about this :(

Sponsored Links
I hope you haven't paid yet. That looks shoddy at best.

What is the flue for that is held together by duct tape. If its the boiler I would turn it off now and get it checked ASAP.

The tape is on the boiler flue which goes up into the loft and out through the wall. I gave the guy a cheque today - guess I could try to cancel it. More flue images:

Sponsored Links
Christ that soldered pipework in the first pic is shocking.
Can't be a proper plumber to do that, definitely can't be to leave it like that.

Dunno what colour his horse was, but it had Gas Safe and Corgi stickers on it. Are you saying this is potentially dangerous because of fumes escaping, or do you think the whole lot is suspect?

Thats poor get it checked and i hope thats not a wood screw in the flue under the tape!

If the flue has been assembled properly, supported properly, and screwed together under the tape then it would be OK.
Was he a youngish guy?

and i hope thats not a wood screw in the flue under the tape!

Yes, it's a woodscrew.

Not sure what his age has to do with it, lol. Think he's listed on Gas-safe register. Can I get any help from there?

Wood screws must not be used to screw into flue, depending on length it could have pierced the inner flue causing it to be dangerous

Not sure what his age has to do with it, lol. Think he's listed on Gas-safe register. Can I get any help from there?

I was just thinking he's someone newly qualified who hasn't learned to solder properly yet.
If that pipework in the first pic is a gaspipe which it looks like, I would definitely get it checked by gas safe they will do it for free.
They will also be very interested in checking that flue.

OP just wandering is this a warmfront job , council etc or private? either way not a good standard of work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back