Moving bathroom and tanks to create extra bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, so I'm looking at buying a 3 bed house and converting it to a 4 bed by re-arranging the upstairs and loosing 2 or 3 large cupboards.

Currently the boiler, cold tank and h/w cylinder are in large cupboards in the main bedroom. The bathroom would need re-tiling and new suite if i left it as a 3 bed anyway so I'm thinking it wouldn't be a huge amount of extra work to relocate it co create the 4th bedroom I'm after. I think the house was built late 60s, all the internal walls are quite thin stud walls.

I'd like to take down pretty much all the walls upstairs and create a new layout with stud walls and an internal bathroom (no window, extractor fan), move the cold tank into the loft, and re-locate the h/w cylinder over about 1.5m into a new airing cupboard (leave the boiler where it is). I see a couple of options for routing a new soil pipe to the existing stack. Looking for a good but not fancy finish, vinyl flooring bathroom, molded doors, decent bathroom tiles on marine ply walls.

Some of it I could do in theory but I know its better to just get a professional in do do it, I'd really appreciate an idea on what I should be expecting to budget for this?

I'm thinking:
4 stud walls, doors and frames £750 each, £3,000
Bathroom £1,400
Moving plumbing and tanks £1,700
A bit of electrical £300
Skip £200

Am I in the right ball park or way off?

Painting and carpets I'd get done separately

Many thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
Bathroom cleared, re plastered, new suite purchased, new suite installed, tiled, painted, flooring, sealing, lighting, accessories fitted, for £1400? I would double that, unless you are doing it yourself, in which case it's tight but doable.

Bathroom cleared, re plastered, new suite purchased, new suite installed, tiled, painted, flooring, sealing, lighting, accessories fitted, for £1400? I would double that, unless you are doing it yourself, in which case it's tight but doable.

Thanks for your feedback, must admit i didn't think of the lighting. does the rest look reasonable? over/under?

If you are removing most of the walls upstairs, you will need rather more than a 'bit of electrical', as all of the lights, light switches and most of the sockets will either be in the walls you are removing, or be in completely the wrong places when you have finished.
£300 is totally unrealistic. £1500 would be a more likely minimum starting price, could easily be a lot more.

One skip won't be enough, and if most of the contents will be old plasterboard, it will cost more as well.

Do NOT put wall tiles over plywood or any other form of timber.

Sponsored Links
Instead of moving the tanks around, why not go for a combi whilst you are at it? More space

Yeah i did think of going for a combi, might not cost much more than moving the tanks around, it would give slightly more space to 2 bedrooms but the current one doesn't look old and is quite compact..... And i know it gets expensive when it comes to gas....

I'm hoping the electrical stuff won't be that much as the room layout would still be similar, I'm looking to squeeze a bathroom in between 2 bedrooms, i do take your point that £300 is low though, yeah

i was thinking marine ply would be better than plasterboard for a bathroom, you're saying any form of timer is not good to tile onto because it can expand?

thanks for your thoughts guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back