Moving electric meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes building control will be notified
That has to be done before you start, and they have to agree with you doing the work and the electrician checking it afterwards.

How would they know who done the work, so long as it's done correctly?

I don't think Building control need to inspect if he's registered as being competent.
I'm doubt they will want to.

I must say, what a minefield BC and regs are
Not really
For someone who doesn't deal with BC, and is unsure what is notifiable, what isn't, what you can get away with and what you can't? what you need certificates for, and what you don't. It is. when is a kitchen ceiling a fire guard? etc. Just seem to get conflicting views. And "you need a plumber, you need a spark for that" when you don't. How do these people on the TV who renovate houses seem to do what they want, but the likes of me have to jump through hoops?.

Sponsored Links
How would they know who done the work, so long as it's done correctly?
Because the law states you shall tell them before you start.

For someone who doesn't deal with BC, and is unsure what is notifiable, what isn't, what you can get away with and what you can't? what you need certificates for, and what you don't. It is.
That's why we are telling you how it is.
We don't make the rules.

when is a kitchen ceiling a fire guard? etc. Just seem to get conflicting views.
When it is someone else's property above.

And "you need a plumber, you need a spark for that" when you don't.
Why would you be told that if you just did the work?

How do these people on the TV who renovate houses seem to do what they want,
Because the programmes are entertainment and made to make money.

but the likes of me have to jump through hoops?.
Because that's how the system works.
Thou shalt not beat the system merely pay for it.

The electrician will issue a certificate. I don't think Building control need to inspect if he's registered as being competent.
If the electrician is dealing with notification via one of the competent persons schemes, then no, BC do not need to inspect.
However they are for electricians to notify their own work - specifically NOT work which others have done.

For someone who doesn't deal with BC, and is unsure what is notifiable, what isn't, what you can get away with and what you can't? what you need certificates for, and what you don't. It is. when is a kitchen ceiling a fire guard? etc. Just seem to get conflicting views.
It's really very simple.
New circuits, consumer units and work within bathrooms is notifiable. Other electrical work is not.

Work can be notified via building control, either by completing a building notice or submitting full plans.
Members of competent persons schemes can notify work they have done via the scheme, which is considerably more convenient and cheaper when making large numbers of notifications every year.

And "you need a plumber, you need a spark for that" when you don't. How do these people on the TV who renovate houses seem to do what they want, but the likes of me have to jump through hoops?
Anyone can do any work, provided they are capable of doing it properly.
Some things have to be notified. Others do not. This applies to all building work, not just electrical. You could replace your own windows - but this would be notifiable via the same process.

What is shown on television is a tiny fraction of what actually goes on. 99% of it would be total boredom otherwise.
If renovating an entire house, a single notification would be submitted to cover all of the work involved, it is not necessary or desirable to notify each type of work individually.

If renovating an entire house, a single notification would be submitted to cover all of the work involved, it is not necessary or desirable to notify each type of work individually.

Thanks, That sentence there has just helped me out a lot.
I was expecting to pay for separate notices at every stage of my house refurb, which at £160 a go would be a lot of money.

I notified BC when I took a load bearing wall out, had it checked etc.
If i'd have known, I would have submitted plans for the complete kitchen renovation, including electrics, building work gas work etc.

I never realised you could submit it as an entire project... :unsure:

Sponsored Links
I would have submitted plans for the complete kitchen renovation, including electrics, building work gas work etc.
You still can, surely, for what's left to do?

Because the thing is:
have found someone willing to connect, test and sign off my work.They want £200 for this, which I feel is fair.
that does not work regarding Building Regs compliance unless you submit a notification in advance and they agree to your proposal.

Whoever that someone is, unless he is prepared to lie on official documentation he won't be able to notify LABC that he did the work.

Whoever that someone is, unless he is prepared to lie on official documentation he won't be able to notify LABC that he did the work.

He's willing for £200 cash. :mrgreen: Cheers.
It is not unknown for an LABC to scrutinise the occasional certificate. Asking the person who signed the form to describe the work they claim over their signature of an official form to have done. Can get messy when that happens.

He will inspect and test, therefore know what work "he" completed.
Sorry, but some rules were made to be bent (unlike the DNO lead sheaved cable) :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back