Water Meter\Electrical Earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of getting a water meter fitted, the water board say i need to make sure that if i have an earth connection on my water pipe that it gets moved becase they will be breaking the connection by fitting plastic pipes.

My jack-of-all-trades step-father informs me that if my electricity supply/CU is earthed on the gas meter then i need not worry about the water pipe earth

Is this true?

My supply does seem to be earthed onto my gas pipe so is that problem averted?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My jack-of-all-trades step-father informs me that if my electricity supply/CU is earthed on the gas meter then i need not worry about the water pipe earth
Perhaps he still thinks houses derive their supply earth from water mains. :rolleyes: This is not true, and has been against regs for something like 50 years. The earth bonds you see serve a different purpose, which I wont go into here.

well my house is 120 years old, so i've no way of knowing how old the electrics are

i read the link and tried to understand as best as i could

am i going to have to pay for an electrician to come in to tell me i do or do not have to move an earth on the water pipe?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Stick a few pictures of your fusebox/meter/electricity service area on imgaeshack and we can try and identifiy the earthing arrangements for you :)

ok thanks, i have a photobucket account so i will endeavor to upload pics tonight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back