Water meter earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all my first post.
I am thinking about having a water meter for my house. One of the questions is, they ask you, is your earth connected to the water pipes as in older properties. They usually are. I leave in and older property. But I had my house rewired in 1988 and approved by the Seaboard. So can I presume, my earth is ok? When looking at the fuse box. The earth is attached to the gas meter pipe will this be okay.
Any advice will be gladly received.
Senior Citizen John

Sponsored Links
John
The Earth will not be the wire to your gas/water pipe, this will be the bonding conductor.
Look for a 16mm green/yellow conductor connected to your service head (that's the end of the supply cable).
Or if the installation is TT then it'll go to an earth rod.

No.

What they are looking for is a min. 10mm2 main earth bonding connection between your water pipe and the MET. The bond should be carried out on the consumer's side of the stopcock within 600mm of same.

If you do not have an MET, the bond should be terminated at the earth busbar in the consumer unit.

Hi Qedelec
I have a green/yellow cable on the end of the supply cable which goes up to the main box then down under the floor. Would that be it?
John

Sponsored Links
Oh, Andy!

How can we tell if your car is doing alright on fuel?

Is it a petrol or diesel? And does the fuel in the tank match the engine?

ash38 said:
Hi Qedelec
I have a green/yellow cable on the end of the supply cable which goes up to the main box then down under the floor. Would that be it?
John

That cable is most likely the Main Earthing Conductor to your consumer unit, and the one coming out and going under the floor is probably the Bonding conductor, BUT I cannot be sure with out a picture.

As SS says there are regulations as to where the bonding conductor is connected.

Can you borrow a digital camera and post a picture?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back