MovinG electrical meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i know that there are posts with the same topic but i feel my situation is a bit different to the others, hence the reason for the post.

I have recently purchased a proporty in Herts and want to move an electric meter and fuse box from the kitchen wall. This is so i can knock the wall down and extend the kitchen. The new location is under the stairs around 3m away.

I have contacted the electrical distributer (edf Energy) and they want £550 prior to any survey. This all will take around 4 weeks before the engineer comes round to rewire.

My questions are:

1. Will the engineer require the digging of the cocrete to expose the cable prior to him coming on site or will he do it himself.

2. Will he insist on external mounted box.

3. Is the price reasonanle concidering the fact they want money before survey.

4. Can i still take out the wall and leave a panel of wall housing the meter, or will the engineer dislike this.

Can anyone help with this matter

Sponsored Links
where abouts in herts?

EDF will move your supply cable and fuse, and meter, you need to get your own electrician to move the fusebox

and as for is it reasonable, you have no choice, they are a monoply and you cant do it yourself.

if you are moving it outside then they will want a box installed for them.

digging will save you money

Thanks for the reply,

Stevenage in herts,

Cant belive they will allow anyone else to dig up the ground, just in case they cut the cable by accident.

Reckon ill leave it to them if they can do it all themselves, i dont have to worry about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back