Moving extensions to other phone line

DSA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In due course we plan to cancel one of our two phone lines. We wish to move the extensions to the line which will be maintained. The second line is provided by BT via a secondary pair in the drop wire, with a "split" in a weatherproof enclosure outside the property. From this 2 wires go to each master socket for the 2 lines.

I currently plan to run a new cable from the existing final slave socket (on the line to be maintained) to a new slave socket by the second master socket (for line which will be cancelled). I will then swap the extension wiring from this master to the new slave. This will require the running of a cable from one bedroom to another, across the hallway - certainly doable, but quite a bit of faff.

Is there an easier way??? Is the other line likely to be available at this second master socket? Even so, I guess it is probably better to run a cable to complete the circuit because this could be seen as tampering, even if the line is not activated, and will not be very expensive.

Finally, I presume that 2 pair cable is more than adequate for this join because only three cores are required.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
without seeing it would it not be easier to do it at the incoming master?

and dont forget to diss the incoming line cable or you will be sending your line back out

It's a bit nauty but the easiest way would be to remake the connections in the external box so that both master sockets were connected to the same pair from BT.

It's a bit nauty but the easiest way would be to remake the connections in the external box so that both master sockets were connected to the same pair from BT.

DO NOT DO THIS , especially if you have broadband , the extra capacitor in the 2nd nte will cause your broadband to drop out and slow your speeds down

Sponsored Links
Given that the material cost is really not going to be very much, I think I will go with the more complicated option, especially given that there is indeed going to be broadband on the line. Plus, this will not adjust the wiring of the existing masters, which will make any future reinstatement of the line straightforward.

On a side note, I am assuming that it will be easier to transfer the broadband service from one line to another, rather than the telephone number from one line to the other. (ie I need to keep one of the telephone numbers, and the broadband service, but they are on separate lines!) Knowing BT, I think that transferring the number to an existing account whilst retaining the BB service on that line may be too much.... :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back