Moving Frost Stat in the Loft

Sponsored Links
cool, I'll get the pipe stat ordered.

having not messed about with CH wiring before, I'm not sure what to expect. do I need to break into one of the wires from the existing frost stat or do I just run an extension from it? or something else?

is there any special wire I need to use or standards to follow?

cheers!

http://europe.hbc.honeywell.com/products/ecatdata/pdf_l641_l641b1004.html
the Honeywell info (page 3) seems to suggest I need a 2nd frost stat but I can't see why?
Have a look at the wiring diagram on page 4 - bottom left. The two thermostats are in series which means that the air and water temperatures both have to be low for the boiler to light.

Is your boiler in the loft? If not, there is normally no need for frost stats; just make sure all the cold water pipes are well insulated.

there is a frost thermostat in my loft and it is most annoying. I believe it is badly positioned.
have I missed anything?
As D_Hailsham has suggested, a frost stat is the wrong solution to your problem unless the boiler is in the loft.

However, lagging won't protect anything against prolonged temperatures below -4°C. A better way of protecting the pipes in an unheated space is a heat trace:

http://www.heat-trace.ltd.uk/applications/industrial/freeze_pro.html

maybe you should turn the stat down to 2°C so that it only works when near the limit.
Maybe you should not post until you know what you're talking about. :idea:

Sponsored Links
cheers for the extra options :)

but given that there is already a frost stat in the loft, isn't it going to be much cheaper and easier just to fit the pipe stat to complement it?

I'm not really looking for the perfect solution to protecting the pipes, just to prevent the boiler lighting all night when it isn't needed and is an annoyance.

but given that there is already a frost stat in the loft, isn't it going to be much cheaper and easier just to fit the pipe stat to complement it?
I don't know how much cheaper it will be to install the wrong solution.

I'm not really looking for the perfect solution to protecting the pipes...
In that case I'm sure that you can get the wrong solution to work, eventually, if you put enough effort into it.

how is it the wrong solution . he has a frost stat that doesnt cut out. the pipe stat surely should have been fitted as an interlock.

no i did ask presence of boiler/ heating pipes but dont think i got an answer. i would assume though that the frost stat was there for a reason and again assume its for heating pipes/boiler in loft space. the op's complaint was nuiscance firing of the boiler therefore a pipestat interlock seemed to be the best solution rather than the removal all together of the offending frost stat.

have you a better idea? :)

hiya,

the boiler is a Stelrad WRS 450, but this is not in the loft. just pipes and hot + cold water tanks up there so I s'pose the frost stat is to protect them...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back