Moving Fuse/circuit board - extend wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm need to move my circuit board that supplies the house over to another wall - it needs moving maybe 30cm no more. My question is, can the electrician lengthen the cables that are already in situ or would this need a rewire?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The distribution cables (stuff going to lights, sockets etc) can be extended. This may involve a box on the wall where the CU was. You may run into safe zone problems if you planned on burying the cables.
You/your electrician cannot move the meter, cutout, supply cable to the house. If there is an isolator between the meter and your CU then you can install longer tails (there is a maximum length).

To confirm its' the circuit board nothing to do with the meter and there is an isolation before the meter therefore no requirement to pull the main fuse.

The issue I have is that the CB is on a wall that is going to be removed, therefore I cannot have random junction boxes placed there, can these connections be crimped?

You really need sparks to look at this on site as there are a few variables

Extending the meter tails is nearly always a problem

Sponsored Links
Yes connections can be crimped or soldered but they need to be done properly

What is constituted as properly? If electrician, crimps both ends with crimp connector and tool, does this then need to be heat shrinked and can be put behind a wall instead of a junction box for maintenance etc.?

Is soldering within domestic even a thing? Surely that would break down over time with heat and current passing.

Is soldering within domestic even a thing? Surely that would break down over time with heat and current passing.
Yes, it is one of the acceptable methods for hidden joints - if also done properly.

Properly means the joints must be electrically and mechanically sound before soldering.

Also: solid cores should not be crimped.

Yes, it is one of the acceptable methods for hidden joints - if also done properly.

Properly means the joints must be electrically and mechanically sound before soldering.

Also: solid cores should not be crimped.

Well, learn something everyday, cheers!

I've never had the need to solder a wire, what's the point? So many better options

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back